The predrilled hole

laguna

Reaction score
Is your hole size arbitrary, based on random choice or personal whim, rather than any real reason or system?

There are a few predrilled boilies and pellets available nowadays, and doing your own with Nut drills mine are about 1.5-2.0mm depending on where you buy them but for me, the bigger the hole the better and depending on the size of your boilie I would opt for a bigger hole in preference say around 3mm simply because it will allow more flavour out.

Also another advantage for having a bigger hole is; if I was to revert back and use a baiting needle and a hair loop (not that I need to anymore), the doubly-overhand-tied hair loop knot is often too big and bulky and can sometimes ruin a good bait when trying to forcibly pull it through a 'standard' (shop bought) size hole with a needle, it depends on your hair thickness/material of course and the thickness of the needle but I found it can certainly weaken the bait and/or hair and break it.

...just watch out for that barb (ouch!) :wh:eek:

Obviously if your bait stops are small finicky things, then the smallest hole possible will be the better option or it will simply pull back through and wouldn't hold your bait on properly, otherwise i would go for the biggest hole I can get away with. Same goes when I'm fishing with softer baits like meat and cheese etc. making for a larger surface area for the flavour to leek out.

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Ooh Errr Missus............

Last edited: