Tech (not man) V's Fish?

B

binka

Just been reading another thread and didn't want to spoil the enquiry by replying in it but it was basically about an aerial for a fish finder for... charter boat sea fishing?

Nope... Carp!

Which prompted the following question...

Is it me who is behind the times and is missing out on some incredible sport or should I go the whole hog and bypass watercraft altogether?

No offence meant to anyone but i'm really struggling with this one :confused:

B

binka

Actually I have to confess to doing the same, great for showing up deeper glides on rivers.

I'm a hypocrite :)

But come on... fish finders? :) :)

barbelboi

Reaction score
Just been reading another thread and didn't want to spoil the enquiry by replying in it but it was basically about an aerial for a fish finder for... charter boat sea fishing?

Nope... Carp!

Is it me who is behind the times and is missing out on some incredible sport or should I go the whole hog and bypass watercraft altogether?

Yep, that beauty looks like one of the best fish finders that I know - should be standard kit;).
Jerry

sam vimes

Reaction score
Fish finders on bait boats have been available for a while. I don't have a bait boat, but I do have one of the castable fish finders (not the utterly useless Humminbird Smartcast). The reality is that they are anything but fish finders. The truth is that, unless you pay a fortune, they are rough and ready depth guages with dubiously accurate temperature sensor built in.

Frankly, I'd rather a full on carper used one of these gizmos, if he dropped into a swim near to me, than watch him thrash the water to a foam with a marker rod.

If I bother to use my "fish finder" it's usually on featureless rivers such as the tidal Trent. They come in very handy to let them float down a trotting line looking for underwater depressions. Takes the guesswork out of where to feed and where in the swim to expect bites to come. No amount of watercraft will tell you what the "fish finder" will in this scenario.

terry m

Reaction score
The point about Google Earth illustrating deep and shallow areas is a good one, I have used that to easily locate gravel bars on huge 60+ acre pits.

As far as bait boats and fish finders go, no thanks, not for me.

stillwater blue

Reaction score

Nope... Carp!

There are various tools that help watercraft such as binoculars, polarised glasses and yep fish finders. None of these tool replace watercraft they merely aid it. The angler takes all the available information and draws a conclusion that's either right or wrong.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think there is a substitute for watercraft at all, but there are devices that can supplement watercraft and in a time-saving manner.

This is why I have a bait boat, my own experience and watercraft dictate whereabouts on a lake I'll be exploring whereas the bait boat assists me in saving me hours of splashing around with a marker rod and a spod.
Not to mention that I can 'map' the swim without making a lot of noise.

Even using a bait boat there is still some skill (or just a different type of 'watercraft'?) involved in estimating bearing and distance.

I have investigated the GPS option for the bait boat that will virtually put you back on the same spot time after time, even in the early morning mist when you cannot see the boat.

Currently the prices of these GPS devices are prohibitive, in my view, inasmuch as I only get 2 or 3 weekends per season these days, so it is not what I consider cost effective

I think that bait boats, echo sounders and even GPS are simply nothing more than tools to do a job with, just the same as a big pit reel or bite alarms.

Think about it, you probably used your car's GPS to get to the lake in the first place, so, is there such a huge difference in using one on a bait boat?

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
Think about it, you probably used your car's GPS to get to the lake in the first place, so, is there such a huge difference in using one on a bait boat?

I'm sure that someone out there will insist on driving a hand started pile of obsolete junk while navigating with hand drawn maps on silk. Possibly while dressed in Tweed, plus fours, goggles, the works. They'll then have a good moan about those using a decent modern car with Satnav.

john step

Reaction score
watch out binka.. putting photos like that will have the spies tapping your mail

Keith M

Reaction score
Using a bait boat fitted with a Satnav sounds a good idea if you can afford it and the boat didn't interfere with other anglers around me; but I don't think it has a lot to do with watercraft though, like others I think of it as just another tool like a catapult or a spod rod.

Keith (BoldBear)

Last edited:

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
I think maybe Binka needs a vacation? Get amongst them billfish and sailfish.

How about Grenada?

D'ohhhhhhhh :eek:mg:

---------- Post added at 19:34 ---------- Previous post was at 19:33 ----------

Usually with a Barnes-Walls cast towards the dam end.

Starred John MILLS but, sadly, it BOMBED :eek:mg: