Umbrella recommendations

fordy81

Reaction score
Ok so I'm asking about every item of tackle and kit I buy because I've made so many mistakes in the past. Lol

Today is the turn of the umbrella.

I need something for day sessions only. Weight isn't too important as I'm not planning on walking miles.

What brollies do you all recommend? Thanks :)

Judas Priest

Reaction score
If you want a robust totally waterproof umbrella and weight isn't an issue then it has to be a Wavelock.
I've had mine for about 20 years and its still totally waterproof and in very good condition and has never blown inside out despite only really using it in the worse conditions. I use it when not walking miles, as I have the £10 ones from Aldi for those occasions.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I bought a 50" Korum last year and I have to say that so far I've been very impressed. Not too heavy,seems well built,reasonably priced and keeps the rain off both me and my gear which is more than any other brolly I've ever owned did. Worth a look.

captainbarnacles

Reaction score
As i am up for a new one , i too have looked at the korum 50" , seems a good one but they also do a new one now a fibreglass one , tag lighter , but now in 2 minds weather to buy the original one or the new fibreglass, oh dear

nicepix

Reaction score
I bought a 50" Korum last year and I have to say that so far I've been very impressed. Not too heavy,seems well built,reasonably priced and keeps the rain off both me and my gear which is more than any other brolly I've ever owned did. Worth a look.

I have had the same for a couple of years. Very well made and robust. The only niggle I have and it maybe me, not the brolly, but I sometimes struggle to get the spike threaded into the side socket. It seems to be a knack I'm missing.

garethdwatkins

Reaction score
Yeah +1 for the Korum 50"... Got mine last autumn to replace my very ancient Wavelock 50, and it has had extremely frequent use here in France, over the last 8 months. A quick and easy way to stay dry on a day session.
The sides are very good when its a bit windy as it stops rain getting in on your gear..
It fits perfectly into my Trakker 3 rod Stalking quiver.
cheers
Gareth

terry m

Reaction score
I am in the market for a brolly, simply because my 50" Korum was useless and failed after about 18 months. It had corroded at the top boss and the wire (yes wire) that is used to couple the arms at the top simply snapped.

My kit gets a lot of use, but I would have expected at least three years from a brolly.

Paul Morley

Reaction score
No bad experience from the Korum fibreglass, this came as a replacement for a Leeda Nubrolli that saw ages of service, am very pleased with the Korum

barbelboi

Reaction score
I am in the market for a brolly, simply because my 50" Korum was useless and failed after about 18 months. It had corroded at the top boss and the wire (yes wire) that is used to couple the arms at the top simply snapped.

My kit gets a lot of use, but I would have expected at least three years from a brolly.

Corroded?...............You haven't been leaving it out in the rain by any chance;)

captainbarnacles

Reaction score
well i went out today and bought the korum 50" and as far as i can see its a nice piece of kit . only time will tell , but what iv'e read so far i haven't gone wrong. Thanks guys.

garethdwatkins

Reaction score
well i went out today and bought the korum 50" and as far as i can see its a nice piece of kit . only time will tell , but what iv'e read so far i haven't gone wrong. Thanks guys.

My mate has been using the Preston flat back for three years now, which is to all intents and purposes the same basic umbrella as the Korum 50"... minus the sides. Same internals...

As you say time will tell, but mine is now 8 months in and was fine today

cheers
Gareth

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Yer all Shandy drinkin' wimps - a Barbour jacket and a Tilley hat and, as soon as the rain's gone so are they!!! :D

Actually, a 50" Daiwa nu 's a pretty good investment!!

GT56

Reaction score
I’ve used a Korum 50 inch umbrella for a number of years which is now fitted with a screw end pole after tipping my chair over on a windy day, when using the brolly attachment on the chair.

Have to agree changing the angle can be fiddly due to a fine thread with no lead.

Overall the brolly has stood up extremely well and in conditions I feel that could have turned some cheaper options inside out.

nicepix

Reaction score
My mate has been using the Preston flat back for three years now, which is to all intents and purposes the same basic umbrella as the Korum 50"... minus the sides. Same internals...

As you say time will tell, but mine is now 8 months in and was fine today

cheers
Gareth

If it was fine today why did you need your brolly :confused:

:D