Petition: Regarding The EA.

souliedave

Reaction score
Hi, A while ago I posted a thread entitled, Close Season/Open Season, It proved Quite controversial in parts, some posts came back, "If you don't like it do something about it", So now I have. I have started a Petition on change.org It's entitled, EA "Stop The Water Companies Dumping Raw Sewage Into Our River System's" PLEASE READ IT, and if you Agree, PLEASE SIGN IT, It only takes a few seconds, Thank's.:w
Here's The Link:
http://www.change.org/petitions/env...re_petition&utm_term=permissions_dialog_false

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Done it, but I can't help thinking it's too angling specific to garner widespread support?

Mention could have been made of the effects on bird life, waterside ecology, farm animals, other river leisure users like canoeists (even though we generally despise them) riverside tourism (pubs, hotels, caravan parks), children (always a heart-string puller), etc.

I can't really see it flying but it's a worthy petition. :thumbs:

souliedave

Reaction score
Hi jacksharp.
Thanks for signing, sorry but i can't think of everything m8 :w

---------- Post added at 09:39 ---------- Previous post was at 09:25 ----------

Hi jacksharp.
Thanks for signing, sorry but i can't think of everything m8 :w
Taken your advice on Children and Cattle and added:thumbs:

The bad one

Reaction score
Whilst the aims are laudable Dave, it's to simplistic in it's content. I think sadly your claims will be dismissed very easily by the EA.
For these reasons.

Are the WAs breaching their discharge consent levels? The answer is probably no believe it or not!

Are the BOD within the regulations under the Water Framework Directive? Probably yes!

Have the EAs sampling test found the invertebrate fauna to be of a health population? Probably yes!

Did you take samplings of a significant numbers along at least a kilometre of the river to draw the conclusions you have?

Have you factored in to your assessment the cold and unseasonable cold spring? If so what criteria have you used to do this?

Were the absence of fish on the length you/others fished possible down to the fact they were still on the spawning grounds elsewhere on the river?

To the above and much more the EA will be able to produce reams of data collected over recent times and longer. Can you match it and show it's incorrect or flawed in someway?

Sorry if you think this pouring coldwater on what you are doing, but that's the way it will be looked at and assessed by the EA.

souliedave

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, Thank you for signing.
On Friday an email was sent to the CE Chairman of the EA Regarding this, and that he would be the Decision Maker, and this morning received acknowledgement and receipt of this from them.
I Agree things will be Scrutinised by the EA, But in answer we can't just sit back and let this go on and on, this is not just about fishing it involves everyone of us!!! Like I've said before "I'm Only A Little Man, And Therefore I Have No Voice" springs to mind here, But if we can all stand together we will be Heard !!!
This Is not just about the River Severn that's just "A Case In Point" this is happening on Almost every River in the Country.
Take a look on "Surfer's Against Sewage" Website, It's Very Interesting.
Thank's Dave.

Last edited:

Windy

Reaction score
Signed.

Bad One, it may not be perfect but doing something, no matter how little or inadequate is surely better than doing nothing ?

There simply isn't any excuse for raw sewage going into watercourses since Joseph Bazalgette did his bit. It can be dealt with, it should be dealt with and not dealing with it a hundred years on is frankly outrageous.

thx1138

Reaction score
Signed.
There simply isn't any excuse for raw sewage going into watercourses since Joseph Bazalgette did his bit.

...other than cost?

Unfortunately, Mr Bazalgette's designs didnt factor in for the huge increase in population since the 1800s. Back in the day, his grand London sewers scheme was state-funded. As water companies are now private, we (the customers) will have to foot the bill of infrastructure changes to increase storage capacity through our bills.

Even the multi £billion Thames Tideway scheme will not eradicate raw sewage from the Thames, only reduce it from 18 million tonnes to 2.5 million tonnes per year. see here

Honourable sentiments in this petition, but unless we are all happy to have our toilets overflow when it rains, untreated wastewater in a river at some point is pretty much unavoidable in a crowded little island like this one. :(

Windy

Reaction score
Even the multi £billion Thames Tideway scheme will not eradicate raw sewage from the Thames, only reduce it from 18 million tonnes to 2.5 million tonnes per year.

Fair enough. I'll settle for an 83% reduction in the meantime as pretty good progress on the way to where we ought to be....

souliedave

Reaction score
Hi James, thank's for your really informative comment's, but we can't keep burying this, it's not just on this forum that we have views, and everyone has their own views on this granted, it's being brought into the public view, friends of mine who have never Fished or wet a line, have signed, after telling me they didn't know this went on, one commented, " This has certainly opened my eye's", one person from how many million's that are in the dark. Ok we as anglers can see this does go on, also, so do canoeist's, wild swimmer's, and surfers etc, and some complaints have been lodged by these people too, but even as a collective group, we are a minority, but with the public on board that can change and become a majority !! Thank's Again ;)