Solunar Theory - does it work?

liversage

Reaction score
I've noticed a couple of apps on the Apple store that claim to calculate the optimum 'success' times for fishing based on something called the 'Solunar Theory' - [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solunar_theory"]Solunar theory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame] - conjured up in the 1920's. These apps allow you to choose spots on maps, and then calculate the 'best' days and times for fishing, based on some factors but primarily the position of the moon - whether it is directly overhead or 'underneath' the earth.

I was wondering if there's any credence in this theory? Anyone fish according to it?

I mention this because we've a 'supermoon' happening today when the moon is closest to the earth, so if this theory works the fishing over this weekend and particularly today / tonight should be spectacular. Would be interested to hear from any of you who've experienced exceptional catch rates compared to normal from regular waters.

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've noticed a couple of apps on the Apple store that claim to calculate the optimum 'success' times for fishing based on something called the 'Solunar Theory' - Solunar theory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - conjured up in the 1920's. These apps allow you to choose spots on maps, and then calculate the 'best' days and times for fishing, based on some factors but primarily the position of the moon - whether it is directly overhead or 'underneath' the earth.

I was wondering if there's any credence in this theory? Anyone fish according to it?

I mention this because we've a 'supermoon' happening today when the moon is closest to the earth, so if this theory works the fishing over this weekend and particularly today / tonight should be spectacular. Would be interested to hear from any of you who've experienced exceptional catch rates compared to normal from regular waters.

My wife used to go loopy for a few days every month, I found that was a very good time to go fishing! :wh

stillwater blue

Reaction score

I was out yesterday and it didn't fish well, certainly below par.

TBH it might have been a 'supermoon' but the weather conditions haven't been the best for good fishing.

sam vimes

Reaction score
On Friday night a mate told me of a theory that big common carp tend to come out on full moons. To say I was, and am, sceptical is an understatement. However, he did go on to catch the biggest known common in the place that night.:)

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
It might show the importance of confidence as much as that of the moon!

Solunar theory was developed by U.S. bass, pike and trout fishers; it probably (if it works at all ) needs standing on its head for (at least the smaller members of) the carp family...if you were a roach, would you be out and about when the pike were all peckish?

liversage

Reaction score
It also dawns on me that if it's the light aspect of the moon that's the winner, rather than gravity / tides, then dangling a torch from the end of a 15m pole, pointing downwards, would be worth trying....

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
For anyone interested, there is a book on this very subject aimed at angler's by John Alden Night, titled ''Solunar Tables''.

Personally, I can't get my head around it. However, there are a ''few'' very successfull angler's both here and abroad who put great store by the principle.

nicepix

Reaction score
I've seen these tables before and never paid any attention to them other than for sea fishing. I always thought they were American based. However, over the years I've noticed that more settled weather seems to occur outside the extremes of the moon phases and that suits my fishing.

Also, the French gardeners set a great deal of store in the phases of the moon affecting crop yields. They tend to plant things on a waxing moon a few days after the new moon phase.

On Friday night a mate told me of a theory that big common carp tend to come out on full moons. To say I was, and am, sceptical is an understatement. However, he did go on to catch the biggest known common in the place that night.:)

Interesting that Sam. About three weeks ago the main carp spawning took place on the lakes I fish. No further signs of spawning seen after that. Then last Monday I was up at the same lakes and found more carp spawning and every one of them was a common. What is unusual is that in this particular area mirrors outnumber commons at least 2:1.

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Soloony theory is just another way of complicating what is basically a simple thing, ie, catching fish.

I have always found the best time to go fishing is when the fancy takes you and the opportunity arises.

Fish like everything else have to eat to survive so if you have a bait in the water then you are in with a chance, regardless of sun moon or anything else.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Weather and air and water temps and where they have been and where they are going, always (though I don't like a full(ish) moon* in a clear sky when fishing at night for anything). Mere extra, buy into it and begin worrying, "clutter", the Solunar thing.

* Just thought of a notable exception - mahseer. These fish will on occasion fairly thump into a plug on a full moon night - fish to over 40 pounds (on 3in. to 4in. plugs and even spoons down to 2in.) in northern India, to 60 pounds (on a big floating Rapala) in the South.

Last edited:

flightliner

Reaction score
Tidal river, big moon, big tides on days either side and on the evening and you can have some great fishing.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I have been collecting data for moon, it is all daytime fishing, whether the opposite results would happen at night I do not know. IE. whether the fish are feeding more at night and resting in the daytime in a moon phase to produce a poor result or visa versa. Personally, i wouldn't fish by this alone, below is a table of rough percentages. Not sure if it will come out alright(it didn't, but hopefully you can work it out)

------NEW 1st QUA FULL 2nd QUA
tench 7- 42 - 19 - 31
carp 12 - 43 - 21- 23
bream 25 - 21 - 27 - 27
roach 30 - 21 - 16 - 33
chub 4 - 27 - 23- 46
b/roach 28 - 19 - 16 - 37
crucian 5 - 55 - 17- 23
rudd 47 - 17 - 13 - 23

Last edited:

peterjg

Reaction score
A full moon definately adversly effects roach fishing - even in day time or whether or not it is cloudy. I don't think that carp are so badly effected, I can think of several times I have had reasonable catches during a full moon.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
A full moon definately adversly effects roach fishing - even in day time or whether or not it is cloudy. I don't think that carp are so badly effected, I can think of several times I have had reasonable catches during a full moon.

Nice that your observations on roach tally with mine. I don't know about carp except my own findings I don't know if the fact I have found them to be less active in a new moon during day time fishing means they have been more active during the night and are resting more during the day during this period. Could be. I have caught some good carp during the new moon but, a lot less than other phases. Could be a trend only.

vort

Reaction score
It all looks a bit complicated to me.
The best time for me to go fishing is when I am not working or sleeping. I grab any opportunity I can and make the best of what I find.