Cray fish advice needed

brummiephil

Reaction score
had a great day on anniversaries at packington yesterday, until i started getting weird bites and Cray fish took a liking to my sweet corn, tried fishing off the bottom but the swim dried up
any advice on deterring Cray's would be great, or is it a case of just moving to another swim>?

mick b

Reaction score
Put your bait inside a bit of old stocking and catch yourself a nice dinner!
Ensure you have the owners permission to remove them from the water first tho.

Billy Bones

Reaction score
Had the same problem myself last weekend, heard somewhere that if you get a tin of cat food and punch some holes in it, chuck it in away from your swim and it keeps the buggers away.... am gonna try it next time i'm out

mick b

Reaction score
Remember to tie a bit of string to the tin so you can take it home with you, or put it into the nearest litter bin.

mick b

Reaction score
Copied from the EA website - 23 June 2013

Catching Crayfish
Anyone who wishes to fish for crayfish by any means (including hand-picking) needs a permission from us. We have strict rules in place to protect our native (white-clawed) crayfish,as well as controlling the spread of invasive non-native crayfish. It is important to make sure that the methods and equipment used are safe for other aquatic animals, like otters and water voles.

If you want to catch non-native crayfish it is vital that you follow the rules below to avoid breaking the law.
Rules to follow when catching crayfish

Native (white-clawed) crayfish are a protected species. We provide authorisations for people who catch them to monitor their populations. You must not trap them to eat or sell. Be aware it is illegal to handle them without a licence from Natural England/Countryside Council for Wales
Catching non-native crayfish is only allowed in certain areas of the country, due to the risks to native crayfish. Speak to your local fisheries officer if you are not sure which species is in your area
You can fish for non-native crayfish, but only if you have written authorisation from us and you attach the identity tags that we send you to your trap(s) or fishing instrument
Additional to our consent, you must also get permission from the landowner who owns the fishing rights for the pond or river.

C

chefster

had a great day on anniversaries at packington yesterday, until i started getting weird bites and Cray fish took a liking to my sweet corn, tried fishing off the bottom but the swim dried up
any advice on deterring Cray's would be great, or is it a case of just moving to another swim>?

try shallowing up a bit ,and fishing off the bottom,if you dont get any bites then ,start a new swim a metre or so away.....

xenon

Reaction score
bloody hate crays-like something out of a science fiction horror film, but don't
know a clean and quick way of dispatching them without getting messy-any top tips out there?

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Put them in a bucket and take them home and cook and eat the tails!

If you just want to kill them cleanly a sharp knife point through the top of the shell between the eyes should do it.