SNAPPED JW ROD - Help....

big gus

Reaction score
Chaps,

JW Avon rod snapped earlier today, could only have been a barbel I think, judging by the stretch I was on and previous sessions.

The rod has easily taken barbs to just over 11lb before so I was slightly surprised at the break - although I wasn't expecting anything that big in fairness.

Anyway, the point is, the rod snapped below the join, so is now completely useless with the quiver attachments as well as the avon top.

I'm struggling to remember where I bought it (it was online at a main outlet) so almost certainly wont be able to find the receipt....it's only two or three years old.....my question is: is there any chance of being given a replacement bottom end or am I left with the only option of buying a new JW?

I'm off to the Broads for a week on Monday morning, so am absolutely gutted. This is the only rod I've ever had broken on me (bizarrely, its the newest of the seven rods I currently have???)

I realise I'm buggered for my trip...but any advice on who to contact or what to do when I return?

Looks like I'll have to tip the piggy bank upside down and find a tackle shop en route to the Broads in the meantime

*sigh*

Cheers,

Gus

Reaction score
Ring Masterline, 01684 299000 and explain your situation, they will tell you the best next step to take, they might replace the section, or offer you a spare section at a charge, i honestly don't know. Have the rod to hand when you ring them

Ryan

W

Wolfman Woody

They used to replace sections for a very modest amount and what a lot of people didn't realise was that you could buy a spare butt section for the Avon Quiver and have TWO rods!

F

Fred Bonney

Good advice, though 7 rods and still buggered?/forum/smilies/i_dont_know_smiley.gif

big gus

Reaction score
Firstly, thanks to all you guys who have offered advice and help. Ryan - I'll give that number a call ASAP in the morning. Cheers.

Fred - if I was to have a bet on who was to offer a pointless comment - my money would've (without a doubt) gone on you.

Thanks to those who offered help.

F

Fred Bonney

Pointless? Find me another one thenclever ****!

You have 6 rods sitting about, and your fishing is buggered because you lost one other.

The point is then, what's the point of 7 rods if you can't/won't use some of them?

big gus

Reaction score
Fred, can I suggest you bore others on another thread seeing as you have nothing of assistance to add.

To answer your pureile comment, three of the other rods are carp rods with a 2.75 test curve, one is is a 7ft Drennan Spinflex, one is a 6ft baitcasting rod for use with multipliers and the other is a fly rod.

So - clearly - none are for the quiver tip/avon top rod work I intend doing on the Broads.

Thanks, once again, to others who assisted on this thread.

F

Fred Bonney

OK,my offer of assistance is, fill the gap, between your light rod, and your heavy rods!

Just in case, somehowyou manage to break another.

F

Fred Bonney

Why, do you need a spare pair of trousers too?/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

big gus

Reaction score
Erm, no... you just look like the type who would wear them.

F

Fred Bonney

Well, it just shows how many things you can get wrong.

I'm glad I don't have to rely on your judgement in matters of importance.

big gus

Reaction score
You sound like one, too.

Do you make two cups of tea with one teabag?

Lord Paul

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Fred Bonney(ACA/BS/BTO) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>Good advice, though 7 rods and still buggered?/forum/smilies/i_dont_know_smiley.gif</blockquote>

I think Fred was merely wondering why you couldn't use another rod - I'm sure if you'd stated what the other rods were before having a pop at Fredhe'd have understood your situation.

As for advice - do you have the cash to buy another rod to take with you - and try to get the JW fixed later?

If not could you borrow one from a friend for the week?

Hope you get sorted and have a good week and catch a few fish

big gus

Reaction score
Hi Paul...I've asked a friend if I can borrow his for the week so, in the short term, it looks as if I'll be ok.

I will speak to Masterline on my return to see about fixing mine.

As for the fishing, it looks like thunderstorms and showers are forecast for tonight and tomorrow!

F

Fred Bonney

Far from it Gus, I like a good cup of Assam,and definitely NOT a teabag.

Milk, no sugar,thanks.

Anything else, not in my Profile you need to know?

Quite right too, Your Lordship.

big gus

Reaction score
Sorry, all I can hear is a noise.

Bit like a fax machine....

B

Bill Cox

Did the drag on your reel jam or was it just set wrong? Unless there was a flaw in the rod its not easy to snap one. What actually led to the snap in the first place?

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I would guess that you damaged the blank in some way, as you have stated that you previously had some decent fish on it.

I borrowed the same model of rod from a mate for my father in law to use when he visited us from Belgium, he managed to slip on the bank while he was holding the rod and when he next hooked a reasonable fish the butt section cracked for about five inches along it's length. As he had to replace the rod it was a dear days fishing.

If the area of damage is smaller or a clean break you can saw the damaged area off with a junior hacksaw and make a spigot from an old blank, this can be inserted through the butt cap hole, this is then pulled snugly into the lower part of the butt. You can then sand the protruding part of the spigot to allow the twohalves of the but to almost touch. the spigot can then be removed, keyed and coated with aralditethen reassembled. make sure all is true and when the glue is dry you can whip over the repairshouldyou want to, but the repair on the last rod I fixed like this was so neat it was almost invisible. The repair was carried out three years ago and my son usesthe regularly.

I have returned a defective item to Masterline some years ago and they replaced it foc I would try them first.