How did everyone get on then?

liversage

Reaction score
Three smallish common carp of 3 - 3lb 10oz, taken on prawn 'n' corn at a local pond. Quite pleased with this mini-haul, given it's my second proper fishing session for about 25 years....

common1.jpg

jimlad

Reaction score
Decided to start my challenge for this year, hunting down a barbel on the upper river swale. This high up, im told, you got one barbel for every ten you get on the lower or middle reaches. If i get one i'll be over the moon!

Arrived today with the river at normal summer level, and decided to try a nice deep glide that came after to shallow rapids. A two rod approach, one with pellet and the other a big bunch of maggots with a swimfeeder.

First chuck in and the maggot rod was soon bouncing, this lively trout put up a short but spirited fight.

I recast regularly, topping up the swim and hoping to draw any chub or barbel in. The rod slammed down again, and it felt a good fish, but it was a grayling holding its dorsal against the flow (they do fight well size for size!). At 1lb 5oz, this beats my pb by 2oz...

Nothing happening on the pellet, but I felt that there may come a time when a barbel swam through, so plugged on with that. The maggot rod was away again, a small trout...

And that was it, no more bites for the next couple of hours until i called it a morning. Lovely place to be, i saw three kingfishers, and plenty of other wildlife. I'll keep trying the upper swale, one day i may just get a barbel...

nicepix

Reaction score
Fished Friday and again today.

On Friday I went to the same spot where I'd taken 7 carp for just short of 100lb on the previous Monday and discovered not a fish in sight. I dropped a bit of groundbait in but to no avail so I went back to the car and drove elsewhere having not even got the tackle out. Second place was occupied, I should have gone elsewhere but I opted for another swim that had produced a few middling carp a week or so ago and I think holds better than I have yet caught. In end I never got a touch and was outfished by a Kingfisher 3-0.

This afternoon I spent an hour on the farm pond to try out a few things. I use it as a laboratory to test baits and methods as it holds a good head of small carp and roach. I'd been there an hour or so and was catching roach near the surface on artificial maggots despite not feeding maggots and was about to try deeper for some carp when a vicious squall hit and cased me to run for home.

So for me a disappointing weekend.