Lightning - careful with that rod, Eugene

chav professor

Reaction score
Reminds me about when I take my 20ft trotting rod beneath the high tension pylons........ feels like its got a hive of bees within the carbon wrap fibers:wh

I like to think that they are sufficiently high enough to prevent full arcing in moist conditions.... but an electrical storm!!! it would only be second to flying a kite using copper wire.....

john step

Reaction score
Yeh. Not worth taking risks. I have had two near misses. I am not going to chance it 3rd time unlucky!

nogoodboyo

Reaction score
Slightly off topic but what would be a safe distance to fish away from pylons - on a canal for example?

terry m

Reaction score
Slightly off topic but what would be a safe distance to fish away from pylons - on a canal for example?

There is no black and white answer, it is dependant on several factors, the two key variable are:-
a. The weather. Electricity will arc much further in damp conditions.
b. The voltage travelling through the cables. 25kV or greater is typical. The higher the voltage the greater the arc potential.

14ft arcs or greater are very possible. Don't kill yourself finding out!!

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'd be inclined to be careful. Not so many years ago I fished a swim with pylon-hung power cables above it, and, whenever I raised a 13-foot float rod a good few feet below them, I felt the rod tingle in my hand on the composite and metal reelfitting and short foam foregrip in front of my centrepin. A good swim, I once had a 6-02 chub (my first ever six) on trotted flake from it, yet I gave it up.