Hello from South Africa

funnynonsense

Reaction score
Hello everyone

Just thought I'd introduce myself, as I've been lurking around for months and finally decided to sign up.

I've taken an interest in fishing for carp on the feeder and float, which aren't very popular methods in South Africa, except amongst the competition anglers, so information is hard to come by, as is equipment.

Since getting my first feeder rod though my carp specimen equipment has gathered a huge amount of dust, and now with my first float setup I fear it will never be touched again. I enjoy these styles of fishing very much, and hope to learn a lot on the forums as well as hopefully share some fishing from South Africa with you all.

funnynonsense

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome guys.

Welcome to FM
Carp on the float in the margins is great fun

Yes - carp in the margins is great fun. Towards the end of last year I joined a few of the specimen guys on a session where I left the specimen stuff at home and only took along my feeder and float setups thinking that it was a small fish water. Ended up with the 2 biggest fish of the session straight out of the margins, literally a rod length out.

Had the specimen guys questioning a few of their beliefs. Though playing 6kg (think around 13lb) carp on a 2-4lb float rod is a little hair raising to say the least. Our fish fight very hard in our wild waters.

On another note, you guys are very blessed in the UK with the different species you have on offer.

Immediately available to me is fishing for Carp, African Sharptooth Catfish (what we call barbel) and Kurper, also bass (not my cup of tea). There are other species like Grass Carp, Yellowfish and Mud Fish, that involve at least a 2 hour drive to target from where I live.

I've recently learned that we have a lake with some perch in it that were put in there to commemorate the queen visiting many years ago. The bass guys catch them accidentally - apparently they take the small lures. i don't know anything about the species, but will do a search one of these days and go try target them for a while.

I'd love to fish for your bream and barbel.