Barbel - not the best looking of fish

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score

I caught a small barbel last night - and whilst unhooking it I thought that whilst is gives a good fight they are not the nicest looking of fish
The underslung mouth, the shape with the flat underside
Still I can understand those who fish for them almost exclusively - for it's size ( abut 2 .5 lb) it gave a good fight
Do other think the barbel is a weird looking fish

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
"Let's face it" after the prettiest of fish, minnows and baby trout, it's all downhill fish-wise from there.

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder".... I think most of the non-angling population would find it a struggle to find anything about a fish beautiful... Koi being the exception maybe?

However, personally I agree about the perch, striped up to the max (so out of a nice clear river or pit, not some translucent thing thats come out of a cloudy pond). A well-marked crucian is always nice, all gold and orange... likewise a big rudd in its prime.

However, the "best looking" fish I've ever caught was an extremely dark and scaly mirror carp out of a gin-clear pit. Only mid-double, but absolutely perfectly formed, almost black on top and giving way to a scrambled-egg yellow belly. I'm pretty sure any non-angler would think it profoundly ugly, but I was over the moon!

On the original subject, I think barbel are stunning!! Not sure how I'd feel if not spent soem time pursuing them though....

sam vimes

Reaction score
Most fish aren't particularly pretty. I can admire them, but not usually for their visual appeal.

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
Here it is!!

Attachments

• IMG_0045.jpg
    IMG_0045.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 53

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Have to agree with Lord Paul here.

Anything that stuffs its face at every opportunity to make it itself grossly overweight and also has a beard must be pretty revolting................

Jim. I got the same reaction having managed 3 gorgeous old dark Mirrors of 35.5, 35.11 and 38.11 in the last few weeks................
The general consensus from family and friends was..................Ugly Ugly.

Graham

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think barbel are nice looking fish, as are big chub, tench, perch and, loveliest of them all, the crucian. Not much beats a wild brownie or a grilse for looks though.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
For myself it would have to be:

A wild Brown Trout, an absolutely lovely sight, at any weight

Or a shiney red-finned Roach, fresh as a newly minted coin

Or the pearlescent silvery little Bleak, that almost seems to change colour as you move it in the light.

Keith M

Reaction score
I caught this Ghost Carp on the upper Lea yesterday while I was after Barbel, and it certainly wouldn't win any beauty competitions with its deformed mouth and Barbelesque body shape LOL..:) (NB. I'm talking about the fish LOL.)

DeformedGhostCarp_zps09799b3e.jpg

My list of good looking coarse fish would include:
The Perch, Rudd, Graylng, Tench and the Crucian.

I don't think I would class the average Carp as being beautiful, or the average Barbel, however they can both be stunning in other ways.

Keith (BoldBear)

Last edited:

xenon

Reaction score
prettiest has to be a good size roach. On the flip side, hideousness exemplified-the crayfish. ughh!

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
And yet, and yet...

Back in the days when I appeared in fishy public and did things like talks and slideshows, the photo most guaranteed to produce an "Oh!" gasp of approval and affection from a coarse fishing audience as it came up on screen was one of a tiny fully scaled mirror carp caught on float tackle off the deck of a houseboat moored on one of the lily- and lotus-fringed lakes in Srinagar (Kashmir) lying in the palm of my girlfriend's hand. Perfect, beautiful, wild little thing, the fish and the girl.

peg two

Reaction score
My favourite has got to be a Tench,beautiful looking fish..this come out yesterday and made my day.

Peg two.

Attachments

• SAM_1403.jpg
    SAM_1403.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 65