Help Needed

S

Stephen Mc Cormack

Hi, just asking for a little help, I've just started into this fly-fishing lark and have the rod, reel, line and have just bought some backing for the reel. My question is what knot to use to attach the backing to the fly line and is the backing I've bought o.k as it looks like strong thread not like mono as I'd expexcted?????

A

Alan Roe

The backing will be dacron and fine for the purpose.
Use a nail knot to attach it to the fly line.

S

Stephen Mc Cormack

Thanks Alan, just wasn't too conviced when I seen it at first. I've seen an illustration for the nail knot on some other website so I'm off to look for that. Once again thanks.

S

Stephen Mc Cormack

O.k. need more help ! Have the flyline attached to the backing the nail knot wasn't as difficult as it looked ( or else I've done it wrong ). Now need advice, I've bought some braided leader connectors and some leaders, while reading the instructions supplied with the braided leader connectors seen that it said to super glue them to the flyline, now I don't feel to good about super gluing any fishing gear to anything ( just don't trust it) so was wondering if I should just use a nail knot and attach the leader to the fly line or persevere with the braided connectors?
Thanks in advance.

R

Robert Draper

I've put a short loop of 18lb mono on the end of my line (I'm a beginner too) so I can loop-to-loop my leader. I don't trust those braided loops either although I did think of whipping one on rather than relying on the finger-trap effect.

R

Ross Turner

Use a braided loop,first by following the instuctions but leave the plastic sleeve off.Whip the braided loop with a high visable thread which will act as a sight indicator in the future the varnish the thread & apply a smll blob of superglue where the flyline & loop meet.
I`ve used this for the last year & has never let me down.Good luck fishing