Plans for the weekend, anyone fishing?

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I am fishing at the beautiful Old Bury hill fishery on the old lake.
This will be my first match there since last year. Target fish will be skimmers, which on this water are probably the most fickle of fish on the planet. It is vital not to feed too much here. Last year I killed my 11m pole line stone dead after dropping a ball of groundbait in. In the following match I didn't feed at all to start with and was bagging for the first hour until the bites dried up. Instinct said feed and I started pinging casters which was the kiss of death.
Sunday I will try to get it right by using a dropper to introduce a pinch of micros then fish a meter away from that spot. They don't like loosefeed dropping on their heads. I don't really stand a chance of framing as the locals are just so good at it there. Still love the place anyway, it's always a pleasure to be there.
Wednesday another match with the same crowd at Bowsaw lake nr Odiham Hants. Another very scenic fishery. Here it will be carp and most of them are lumps. I will probably fish pellet wagg for most of the first couple of hours and then concentrate on the margins with my top 2 for the remainder. On the right peg and right set up it's possible to get 100lb in the last hour. Vital to have plenty of rigs tied as they get shredded very easily...

Anyone else out?

peg two

Reaction score
Goodluck Fella

Sounds like your going to have a busy few days,never ever fished in a match to be honest,sounds like alot of fun,I do like abit of competion,me and a mate,we used have a little side bet at times,only silly money like 20p a fish,saying that,it cost us both a few quid often.

Maybe have a wee look into matches in the Essex area,Guess I need to join a club first? Hmmmmm maybe not yet thinking about,Im just happy fishing away on my tod most of the time,anyway Im rabbling now,enjoy your weekend chap and fill them keepnets,look forward to a healthey catch report.

Ps Hopefully out tomorrow before the chavs invade the lake ;)

Peg 2

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
Be on a river somewhere on Sunday, Simon.

Just had an invite to a "friendly" competition from one of our suppliers. Anyone fished the Island Pool at Manor Farm, Evesham? Any tips welcome, fishing the waggler against these match guys on the pole is tough going.

Island Pool (39 pegs)
This pool is a match pool of 3.5 acres with an island in the middle. Depths in this pool range from 4ft to 8ft. The carp go up to double figures but the majority of them are around the 2.5lb mark. There is a good head of tench with a few going up to 4lb. Skimmers up to 2.5lb. Open match weights on this pool have been up to 312lb. Best baits are maggot, corn, meat and pellet.

Reading this I think I'm targeting the Tench, any tips on bait Carp won't go for

Last edited:

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Ian, Just done a quick search on another site and most of the big weights are caught on the method tight to the Island on that pool.
May be worth trying waggler shallow too.

tonybull

Reaction score
Matched out in Essex this weekend.

Puddledock Snake Lake Saturday and Southend Farm Main Lake Sunday.

Both be full house's 60 and 30 peggers :)

jimlad

Reaction score
I'll be continuing my search for an upper swale barbel, going to see what this rain does before deciding which day! Most likely Sunday...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Simon

Dont be winkling about on the pole at OBH....get on the feeder/waggler and get some feed out there. Them old bream know all about pellets.

If all else fails stick a pva bag of pellet on and fish a boilie...they'll pull the rod off the rest !

Skippy

C

chefster

Teams of four match@Tofts saturday,then working sun,mon ,tues,Open match @Tofts again on Weds,then club match at Dennets@Daventry on Thurs,then back to work through to following Thurs.....This work lark is a real pain,it really does interfere with my fishing!!!!:mad::(:eek:...Chef

---------- Post added at 11:57 ---------- Previous post was at 11:54 ----------

Be on a river somewhere on Sunday, Simon.

Just had an invite to a "friendly" competition from one of our suppliers. Anyone fished the Island Pool at Manor Farm, Evesham? Any tips welcome, fishing the waggler against these match guys on the pole is tough going.

Reading this I think I'm targeting the Tench, any tips on bait Carp won't go for

You certainly wont beat them targeting the tench,and there is,nt a bait that carp wont go for.....Just fish pellet waggler or feeder as PC said.....Chef

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
It's our syndicates 20th anniversary (or it was on 16th but we couldn't get all of the remaining founders there on the day) so we have a 'fish-over'. A lure 'match on saturday afternoon, bbq and a bottle or two in the evening (and some tall stories and reminiscing) fish through to Sunday (or sleep off the alcohol!) Breakfast and fish until you want to stop.

Should be a blast

Stu

terry m

Reaction score
Leaving the Hants Avon alone and plotting up for a three night session at a local gravel pit in search of a scaly old carp or two.

maceo

Reaction score
Yep, I'm planning to get down to the Thames for a little sesh. Maybe Saturday, probably Sunday.

This will be my first session of 2013 (shamefully), but at long last all the conditions are there. Forecast temperature above 15C, dry and wind below 20mph. There haven't been many days that have met all those three criteria for a long time!

B

binka

Two separate days on the river for me... with the rain we've had overnight and this morning it should be spot on :)

barbelboi

Reaction score
Plans for the weekend.............watch the Lions tomorrow, followed by F1 & Moto GP Q then on Sunday watch a bit of the cricket, Silverstone GP, Moto GP, a bit of Wimbledon and a bit more cricket have a bbq both evenings and then go fishing a few times next week when it's quiet:)
Jerry

B

binka

Well... I've just been checking the EA's site for the river level ready for tomorrow and reckon I've found the quickest flash flood ever recorded :eek:

:)