more umbrella advice

brummiephil

Reaction score
when I see an umbrella advertised as 50" is that diameter radius , arm length?

give me clue?

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Arm radius!

How can a 50" umbrella only be 4'2" in total diameter? :eek:mg:

A golf umbrella is bigger than that!

C

chefster

Phil just buy the best Umbrella you can sensibly afford,when you have to use it ,you dont want it letting you down,ie leaking,breaking etc ,avoid cheap brollies, or get yourself a bait brolley,and put you,re waterproof jacket on!!cheers Gaz:D

captainbarnacles

Reaction score
i just bought the korum 50" , and by 50" it means its 50" from one side to the other , front to back , cross ways anyway you care to look, it covers a 50" area. Lovely brolly.Tight lines

B

binka

i just bought the korum 50" , and by 50" it means its 50" from one side to the other , front to back , cross ways anyway you care to look, it covers a 50" area. Lovely brolly.Tight lines

I have one of these damn things and hate it, although I reckon it's something personal going on between me and the brolly (!) as it appears to be a nice piece of kit.

If it's the one where the centre pole unscrews to re-locate somewhere that gives it an angle it always gives me the run around which results in me placing opened brolly upside down on the floor and then chasing the thread around in circles with the pole as I try and locate it in the other thread like someone poking a dead animal with a stick!

I took it back to the shop for the bloke who flogged it me to try and what d'ya know... he got it spot on first time! :D

captainbarnacles

Reaction score
yeh simple just lay the brolly over so one side touches the floor , then the pole will be at the right angle to screw into. Bl**dy marvelus

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
My brolly has one of those detach the pole and then cross-thread it 20 times to re-attach it systems, commonly known as a nu-brolli. However I don't have to use it as it has a standard tilt too.

I almost always prefer to use the brolly untilted and sit underneath the big green mushroom, especially when shipping a pole back and forth.

terry m

Reaction score
It is definitely diameter, otherwise a 50" brolly would be more than 8ft across!!

I did not particularly like the 50" Korum either. I think there is a critical size beyond which the brolly is susceptible to turning inside out. For me 50" breaches that critical size. I fished (and slept beneath) a 45" brolly throughout the 70s and never once had it turn inside out, my 50" Korum turned inside out more times than I can remember during it's short service until inevitably it broke beyond repair - not helped by the plastic arms!

Sometime biggest is not best.