How did everyone get on then... ?

nicepix

Reaction score
Bah! :(

Thursday evening popped down to my local stretch of river and spun for catfish. Got to one spot and began to work the water to cover it all. Last cast was parallel with he bank downstream and this can often be the most productive one. I fluffed the cast, spinner heading for trees, stopped it and bounced it back to my feet, literally inches from the bank. Wound the slack line in. Stuck on the bottom. Bottom begins to move. :eek:

Five minute tug of war with no line being given or taken before I got its head up. Bloomin' great ugly thing reminded me of the sister in law. About 20lb I reckoned (the fish not the sister in law) then I couldn't find the net. I had left it down the banking at the last spot I'd fished :eek:

Reached down and just got my fingers into the mouth when it jumped and everything wet slack. Spinner with no hook. The eye of the treble hook had sheared. Can't really complain as it was an old Voblex type that I'd found attached to a log when the river was low last year. Must be thirty years old. Now fitted with a new hook and ready for round 2!

Then Friday afternoon had a few hours trotting in various places I hadn't previously fished. Just one dace to show for it. Enjoyed the day and scenery, but the fishing was poor.

<edit>

About an hour after posting this my Siberian neighbour came to the door asking me to photograph and weigh a catfish he'd just caught from our stretch of the Vienne. It weighed 19lb 2oz and had a broken treble hook in its top lip.

Last edited:

GT56

Reaction score
Nice morning on the Trent Saturday with Roach and Chubb showing. Only downside was being tormented by the lovely smell of bacon from a catering van on the other side of the river with just a short respite late morning when the van closed for the day before the fish and chip next door but one kicked into action!
Good fishing it may have been but I couldn’t cope much after one o clock as my stomach demanded I went home.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Stayed at home pooing.

If it makes you feel any better, so did I. Having fished almost every day for the last two or three months, I've not been fishing for a whole six days now. I've been sick as a pig since Wednesday. Initially it felt like I'd swallowed a bowling ball. Thursday I threw up rather violently. Friday and Saturday was the turn of the other end. Immodium has done its work now and I'm back to feeling like I've swallowed a bowling ball.:(

ravey

Reaction score
Fished on the Trent today. Really struggled. Started off on the stick and maggot, and although I was picking up the odd roach up to 10/12oz, the downstream wind was making things difficult, and I couldn't string anything together. Almost constant changes of depth, shotting and even float to try to improve things. Some downstreamers are more 'productive' than others, and I am used to them as they are the prevailing winds on the Trent.

I ended up changing over to the waggler, thinking this may improve presentation, but had just one missed bite on it. I ended up chucking out a feeder for barbel, but had two chewed maggots, and that was it. Maybe if I'd stuck it out on the float, I might have scraped 6-10 pounds together over the five hours I fished, but once I'd worked through all the changes I could think of, I kind of lost interest. Had one decent dace of 6-7oz...the last couple of years, if you fed maggot, you'd end up getting mithered by small dace.

The roach were in good condition, but I just had the impression there were not that many there. It might need a couple of more weeks to settle down...

nicepix

Reaction score
If it makes you feel any better, so did I. Having fished almost every day for the last two or three months, I've not been fishing for a whole six days now. I've been sick as a pig since Wednesday. Initially it felt like I'd swallowed a bowling ball. Thursday I threw up rather violently. Friday and Saturday was the turn of the other end. Immodium has done its work now and I'm back to feeling like I've swallowed a bowling ball.:(

Have you tried these?

Skittles-Wrapper-Small.jpg

Reaction score

That doesn't sound good. I've felt like that pretty much every day for more than three years now :(

Things were looking better for the start of the season so hoped to get on the Ribble. But got bad again so not been yet.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Last minute decision saw me head off for a late Saturday evening into dark session that ended up an all nighter as I finally packed up just on dawn.

A few small Chub wouldn't let go as the light faded but just as I was slowly packing up at about 11:45 a 7lb Barbel tried to take the rod off the rest. Decided to stick around for a while.

Very pleased I did as in the next three hours or so I had five more Barbel including the last one at 12lbs 10oz. All from a little river you could probably jump across (were it not for the Hereford Bull opposite).

Loddon1.jpg

Barbel4.jpg