Flavoured chum mixer

A

Andrew Thomas

Years ago I did a bit of floater fishing and had slightly more success with mixer that I pre-soaked and flavoured.

Trouble is I can't remember how I did it apart from the obvious....inflated poly bag and shake etc....Must be old age.

Anybody got any fool-proof methods and flavouring recipes now that the weather appears to be warming up at long last?

Also I fancy fluorocarbon as a hooklength for this purpose (used to use Drennan Double Strength) Any comments?

G

Gary Knowles

Andrew although a lot of people rate double trouble (Double strength) I don't.

I think you can now get artifical floating biscuits and pellets from enterprise tackle that take flavourings well...

J

Jon Moores

Andrew, It's a method I use a lot, virtually the only carp fishing I do. Like you I favour the mixers soaked, so they go on the hook and also go better in a catapult. I just mix flavour and colour in warm water, add to the mixers in a poly bag and shake, outdoors - the effects on the domestic front could be dire if a bag full of red and flavoured water burst in the kitchen.

Flourocarbon IMO is a great benefit when floater fishing, get the stuff trout anglers use, they have been using it for many years.

D

David Birchenall

On the subject of Chum Mixers, has any one noticed they dont seem as bouyant as they once were ? I think the people at Chum may have changed the density !

Flourocarbon wins hands down with me..

J

John Pleasance

I originally bought fluoro for floater fishing,but gave up with it because it sank too easily,I find it great on clear rivers though.

The make up of chummmies was changed a couple of years ago.

Andrew,I use two ways of preparing mixers,the first way will produce rubbery ones,cover the required amount of mixers with boiling water and immediately drain it off again,put them in a bag and seal and leave overnight,go out and catch carp.

The second way produces much softer mixers,take about 8oz.of mixers and add 6oz of water(with or without flavour and colour) leave for a couple of hours,go out and catch carp.

J

John Merriman

Had along chat with Chris Ball last year about floater fishing and he recommended using Tesco Premium Mixer dog biscuits instead of chum mixers. They are far better than the current chum mixers similar in bouyancy to the old chum mixer. Give them a try and you're see the difference immeadiately.
Regards
John Fish

G

GYPSY DAVE

Asda Hero mixers. Cheap and they float.
Take 1 pint of mixers; add 200ml of "just off" boiling water; add colour and flavour; pop into bag; shake and in 1 hour you have perfect baits. Freeze well , fly twice as far as dry and you can camouflage them against the "sky rats". Good luck.

J

John Pleasance

Gypsy,do you know any way of avoiding Canada Geese?

G

GYPSY DAVE

Got the perfect solution Mate;
Take approx 3 feet of thick wool and on one end tie a stick about 1 foot long. On the other end tie a large piece of white crusty bread (Bloomer is best). Throw the lot in your lake and wait. When said canada eats the bread, when it raises its head the stick taps it on the bum causing it to flee. When it looks to see what is causing this tapping the wool falls slack and the tapping stops and the goose stops too untill it looks back to the front, so causing the wool to tighten and the tapping to start again, so starting the goose off again. After a while the bread breaks down, so releasing the wool and stick, both of which are natural and are enviromentally friendly so causing no damage to your lake.Goose then decides not to eat near you! Hope this helps.
(VERY,VERY,VERY TONGUE IN CHEEK!!!!!!!!)

C

Carp Angler

I know it's a mix of imperial and metric but here's how I prepare mixer.

Take 1lb of mixers and cover with 100ml of hot water and flavouring.
Place in bag, blow up bag and shake.
Leave overnight.
These produce good rubbery/leathery mixers which stay on the hook well.

Tesco own brand are far superior to Chum, but some pet shops sell mixers that are the same as Chum used to be.
It's worth having a look about to try and find something that meets your needs.

A

Andrew Thomas

Thanks everyone for all the help, got some Tesco mixers, they do look better than the last lot of Chum I used.

How much flavour should I use , about 2-3ml for a lb of mixers?

Fruit or fish/savoury?.......I fancy giving scopex a try, I used to use caramel type flavours reasonably successfully.

C

Clive Evans

Andrew,
Have you considered using bread instead of mixers.
Reading the thread on 'Des'&'the edge'I was amused by the way the topic wandered off into other things (like Zilo and H.Potter Magicbaits etc).But ''Japanese swimming bread'' prompted me into wondering just how many of you out there have come across/used ''The Wrap'' which over the last 10 years has turned out to be my most prolific fish catcher. Mostly carp I admit ,but I am now completely unsurprised when a roach,rudd,tench, bream or even chub or barbel have taken the bait.
I have never seen it referred to in the angling mags or papers that I read apart from an item in AT when Matt Hayes was incorrectly shown it By Billy Makin. What is it? Just a line direct to the hook and a Slice of bread that is rolled and wrapped in the line and chucked out to swim around under the influence of wind or current.
I had assumed that it was well-known, but who knows!

C

Cakey

Clive
I use a wrap method where the hook is passed through a piece of crust,the line on the rod side is wrapped round the crust twice then the hook is pushed back into the crust over the two loops , how this works I dont know but it catches loads of fish !!
The crust never comes of in the cast even when I use a 2oz lead for distance !!
CAKEY

C

Clive Evans

Cakey,
Sounds fine for use as a pop-up or as a zig-rig. This one though is for fishing on the top at distance, which is what I assumed Andrew wished to do with mixers.
I use a whole slice of bread,folded in half and rolled around the line like a swiss-roll, then like you say the rod side of the line is wound down the roll (6or7 times) and then wound back up and fixed in place with two half-hitches. You can cast this around fifty to sixty yards without the need for a controller or bubble-float.
It has been a real killer method for me on every water I have tried it. and I caught my PB carp of 19lbs on it.

C

Cakey

Cheers Clive know where your coming from now.
Will give it a go as soon as I find some on top !!!
CAKEY

C

Carp Angler

Mail it to Graham so he can put it on the rigs page, then we can all enjoy it.

C

Cakey

Going back to the original thread Ive never had the need to flavour mixer,stick your nose in a bag or box they stink plenty !!!!

CAKEY