Book present.

Andy M

Reaction score
I should like to buy my soon-to-be 13 years old son a book on fishing (how to) for his birthday. I am tempted to get Mr Crabtree goes fishing but I'm a little worried it might be just too outdated. What do others think? Anything better on the market?

C

chefster

I should like to buy my soon-to-be 13 years old son a book on fishing (how to) for his birthday. I am tempted to get Mr Crabtree goes fishing but I'm a little worried it might be just too outdated. What do others think? Anything better on the market?

It depends if you want to teach him about the "good old days" or you want to learn how to catch something!;)

Andy M

Reaction score
Well, I would certainly hope he would learn something useful as I don't think many 13 year olds are into nostalgia (no doubt I would enjoy it but.... ) _ its also a ploy to get him to read (books) more :) . Any suggestions?

Judas Priest

Reaction score
Yep I'd agree with Crabtree as it portrays fishing as an adventure rather than just a bland fish catching experience.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yup. First sow the mind-gripping and -hooking dream (with a bit of help from Dad - "Yes, I know it's old, but that's not a bad cartoon ... bit like a bit of river I know..."), then follow with the technique. Good books, both.

Reaction score
Agree with Fred,

John Wilson's Coarse Fishing Method Manual is a great entry level 'how to' book...

When I first read Venables as a youngster in the early 80s (aged 12 or so) I found it a bit ploddy and old-fashioned...

If your lad is a good reader skip the rest and give him Chris Yates' 'How To Fish'

Last edited:

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
How about this? The companion to the John Bailey Crabtree TV series, a homage to Crabtree but bringing him and Peter right up to date.

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0957399200"]Fishing in the Footsteps of Mr. Crabtree: Amazon.co.uk: John Bailey, Paula Battle, Lester Holcombe, Robert Olsen: Books[/ame]

Here's a review of the book.

http://theriverangler.wordpress.com...-in-the-footsteps-of-mr-crabtree-book-review/

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
It's a difficult choice for sure.

I think I'd be tempted to opt for the book from the series, Passion for Angling as it combines the best of the more traditional and modern methods and styles, it is certainly very well written and like all of Yates' books, it is one of those you simply cannot put down until finished.

It conveys more than just fishing styles and types and conjures up, well for me anyway, the real adventure of a fishing trip.

Last edited:

Andy M

Reaction score
Thanks for all the helpful replies. He is already quite keen but is dyslexic so Yates is probably too challenging at present. Following in the footsteps looks like a good option.
Cheers!

nogoodboyo

Reaction score
Hi Andy.
I've a few recommendations but I can't understand why dyslexia rules out Chris Yates.

jack sprat

Reaction score
A current bargain (£12) and inspirational to boot:
Calm Productions Catching the Impossible

When I was 12 (back in 1969) I was forever borrowing 'The Whopper' from the library. It was many years before I caught a carp and I'm no carp fanatic now but it was how to capture the imagination of a youngster without being patronising, one of BB's strengths. BB The Whopper

A Passion for Angling is more about middle aged anglers trying to recapture their youth....

Andy M

Reaction score
Hi Andy.
I've a few recommendations but I can't understand why dyslexia rules out Chris Yates.

It does not rule it out entirely but as reading is a fair bit more of a chore for him than many plus his first language is Dutch and hence is English vocabulary might not be up to Yates which could make him just not bother - easily done :) at his age. Ideally I would like something with enough illustration to support the text and further enthuse him re angling.

nogoodboyo

Reaction score
Fair point.
I just find that too much of todays angling writing gets bogged down with tedious technical details and completely bypasses the simple pleasures of a day out fishing.
I cant recall the titles but John Bailey has written some excellent guides for beginners which bring the two together.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Kids want edge, can't-die danger and anarchy. Years ago I thought of reworking my own childhood into a book - not merely scrumping and mud- and (near lethal) brick-fights and having to bow and scrape to various local worthies on occasion then get your own back on them and never, ever, in my own case, get caught, but with chapters like "Bread For Trout", "Winding Up the F-ing and Blinding Carp Anglers and Letting Their Eff-Off 4-Wheeler Tyres and Bivvies Down", "Fly Fishing Might Be For Life But Will Certainly Be Death of You", "Who Is That Ponce on the Telly?", "Pooed My Pants Whilst Perch Fishing"...

Entertained a few kids, boys and girls, with my Lewis Carroll Goes Fishing on Mescaline stories over the past decade or so, but knew that Serious Anglers and Publishers would highly disapprove and probably take a contract out on me. And there lies the problem - we have become disapproving old farts ("Don't do that ... don't fish 'ere ... 'ave you got a ticket ... are you a Member...?), whilst kids as always just want to have fun - stone the ruddy lake or river when the fish aren't biting (five minutes) or when they get bored (two to three). The people who get serious about it and take it up big-time almost always are and were trainspotters, little people just like big old us, yet the trade and the media tell us we have to have more and more these days (Subtext: Please keep us in business) - hence my "Bread For Test Trout".

Last edited:

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
My favourite chapter as a youngster - 'Bread for Trout', in my case on the Piddle not the Test! Lobworms weren't bad either. I was forever getting chucked off of one bank and told to fish the other side where it was permitted. Not that it made much difference.

Judas Priest

Reaction score
Nailed the ethos of it there Paul.
Kids, more so today than ever, want an adventure not just a catching exercise. They can get the instant no feeling, no adrenalin, no real adventure from a multitude of gaming machines.

I've been lucky enough to work with young people for a number of years and even the most hardened inner city young un enjoys it if its made into something special, an adventure with a wider portfolio than just catching a fish, and this what Crabtree encompassed so well.

Andy M

Reaction score
Nailed the ethos of it there Paul.
Kids, more so today than ever, want an adventure not just a catching exercise. They can get the instant no feeling, no adrenalin, no real adventure from a multitude of gaming machines.

I've been lucky enough to work with young people for a number of years and even the most hardened inner city young un enjoys it if its made into something special, an adventure with a wider portfolio than just catching a fish, and this what Crabtree encompassed so well.

Sounds just the job then. No easy commercials in my neck of the woods so he already has a feel for the anticipation and excitement that comes from fishing waters where bites can be scarce and you are never quite sure what will be taking the bait.

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Crabtree enchanted me as a boy so if Mr Bailey and Co. have brought it up to date, I might just invest in a copy myself. I have enjoyed the TV series immensely.