Rod pod for one rod

vort

Reaction score
I have just started fishing again after a very long break. My first new rod is a 13ft float job which I have been having much fun with. I have just acquired a quiver/feeder rod and need something to rest it on.

Traditional bank sticks are fine when you have some soft bank to stab it in but when fishing from a hard platform you need some sort of pod.

So, here is my question:
Where can I get a rod pod designed for just one rod? I will only be fishing one rod at a time so don't need the huge pile of scaffolding that I see the carpers using. Apart from anything else, my old back can't cope with lugging tons of equipment to the bank.

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have just started fishing again after a very long break. My first new rod is a 13ft float job which I have been having much fun with. I have just acquired a quiver/feeder rod and need something to rest it on.

Traditional bank sticks are fine when you have some soft bank to stab it in but when fishing from a hard platform you need some sort of pod.

So, here is my question:
Where can I get a rod pod designed for just one rod? I will only be fishing one rod at a time so don't need the huge pile of scaffolding that I see the carpers using. Apart from anything else, my old back can't cope with lugging tons of equipment to the bank.

You can get a couple of small tripods with the requisite thread for a rod rest head which shouldn't be too heavy. Not sure if a one-rod pod is available?

Just found this on ebay, bound to be loads more. You could just get one and rest your rod butt on your chair frame or box.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brand-New...646&pid=100011&prg=1005&rk=2&sd=220846234158&

Last edited:

peg two

Reaction score
Seatbox with a feeder arm attachment? I know what your saying about getting a rodrest into hard places,All I do is hammer one in for the quivertip and the butt end rests on a bait bucket beside my chair,easy to grab if it give you the wrapround.

Peg two.

vort

Reaction score
I have a little tripod like the one that jacksharp linked to. It's better than nothing but there is nothing to stop the legs from splaying out other than friction with the ground.
The platform have been fishing from recently is tarmac. I could take my 2lb lump hammer to bang in a bank stick but I don't think it would be appreciated by my fellow anglers.

I usually sit on a cheap camping chair. I don't think it would be easy to clamp anything to it.

I have seen plans on tinternet that use PVC pipe and elbows. If I can't find anything ready made I will have to make a trip to B&Q and get sawing.

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have a little tripod like the one that jacksharp linked to. It's better than nothing but there is nothing to stop the legs from splaying out other than friction with the ground.

I could sort an arrangement to put a limit on how far those legs would splay out with 3 cable-ties and some shock-cord, easy as pie, but then I like doing the whole Heath Robinson bit! :D

vort

Reaction score
just get a cheap rod pod like this one and don't fit the buzz bars just fit your choice of rod rest tops

Me I use one like this with Pole Roosts on to hold spare sections and top kits :)

Dave

Ah! I didn't realise you could use it without the buzz bars (having only seen one at a distance). I already have suitable rod rest tops. Good tip :)

The diddy tripod is getting the jacksharp treatment. Nothing like a bit of Heath Robinson. When I was a lad we made/bodged most of our tackle - rod bags made from Mum's old curtains, floats made of elder pith and bamboo, etc.

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have a small single lightweight Classic rod pod made by Fox.It folds up neatly to fit in a roving quiver

I'll have a look and see if they still do them ,it's ideal for what you want.

---------- Post added at 17:48 ---------- Previous post was at 17:43 ----------

This one is sold but it's the same one, not currently available so perhaps worth setting up a permanent search

fox classic rod pod | eBay

john step

Reaction score
vort, You refer to not being in the first flush of youth? Why torture yourself with that cheap folding chair? Treat yourself to a decent comfortable fishing chair and enjoy your fishing more, without the backaches. Then you can fit a purpose made arm for a rod rest. Treat yourself...you only live once.

smufter

Reaction score
vort, You refer to not being in the first flush of youth? Why torture yourself with that cheap folding chair? Treat yourself to a decent comfortable fishing chair and enjoy your fishing more, without the backaches. Then you can fit a purpose made arm for a rod rest. Treat yourself...you only live once.

What he said
;)

vort

Reaction score

I spent years trying to raise a family on next to no money. Now the kids have grown up but it is hard to give up my stingy habits.
But, you are probably right - now I have a bit of spare cash I should treat myself to a comfy chair. I will justify the cost by going fishing more often :)

Last edited: