What is the realistic braking strain of 4lb line?

simonp

Reaction score
As per the title really. I was fishing this afternoon and it was one of those newbie questions that came into my head?
oh.......and by the way.........I'm still rubbish, thanks for asking:rolleyes:
5 hours at the club lake this afternoon, one bream and one small carp:eek:

Thanks for looking
Simon

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Now there's a right can of worms.......,.

The breaking strain of a straight length of line will be different to that of a knotted one. I wouldn't even like to hazard a guess, other than to say that the breaking strain of Drennan Double Strength is akin to tissue paper!

simonp

Reaction score
I only ask because I watched a friend land a 13lb 3oz common carp on a float rod and reel loaded with 4lb line:eek: he was very careful mind.
Was he just very lucky? He was actually fishing for Tench.

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I only ask because I watched a friend land a 13lb 3oz common carp on a float rod and reel loaded with 4lb line:eek: he was very careful mind.
Was he just very lucky? He was actually fishing for Tench.

A lot could be down to skill, the action of the rod, the drag setting of the reel, the brand of line. Sometimes we get smashed up by fish that are lighter than the BS of the line we are using and other times we can land lumps on cobweb!

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Set up a float rod with decent 4lb line and tie it it to a tree.
Give it the hardest pull you can, putting the maximum bend in the rod. See if it snaps (the line)
It won't.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Most standard mono is under rated. Most high tech mono is over rated.
However, with balanced tackle, skill, enough space and/or a dash of luck, you can land fish whose weight far exceeds the rating of the line.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
I assume you couldn't pick up a 5 lb weight up with a 4lb line ( subject to margins of course )

sam vimes

Reaction score
I assume you couldn't pick up a 5 lb weight up with a 4lb line ( subject to margins of course )

Depends on the specific line concerned and the knots used. Don't try it with a rod though. I'd expect to be able to lift a 5lb weight with 4lb Maxima or Sensor (and similar). With something like Drennan Double Strength, I'd not expect to be able to do it.

chav professor

Reaction score
Drennan supplex..... Now that is a line..... It states its breaking strain and further suggests you can expect a higher breaking strain if knots are tied with care/right choice...etc.

They are right - its brilliant stuff!

robtherake

Reaction score
The stated breaking strain of a line varies greatly from brand to brand, with Maxima (as an example) breaking at a consistently higher b.s. than stated.
It can also depend on how much stretch is in a line; pre-stretched lines are less able to absorb sudden shocks.

The key is to use a balanced outfit; a line strength which matches the rod, and a reel with a good, smooth drag set appropriately. Once you have an understanding of what your kit is capable of (through trial and error - ie actual fishing!) it's surprising what you can land.

terry m

Reaction score
Gents, why the downer on Drennan Double strength? I have used the very low BS's (primarily for hook lengths) and have never had any issues.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Gents, why the downer on Drennan Double strength? I have used the very low BS's (primarily for hook lengths) and have never had any issues.

No particular downer on it. It's just one of the first and most familiar "hi-tech" pre-stretched monos. Like most lines of its type, it breaks below the stated breaking strain and, due massive underrating, way less than a standard mono of the same stated breaking strain.

beerweasel

Reaction score
How much does pinching/crimping shot on a line decrease its breaking strain ?

bennygesserit

Reaction score
How much does pinching/crimping shot on a line decrease its breaking strain ?

I had to unspool quite a bit of my line this year as the top layers on the line had gone very brittle which I had heard was UV light but mine is kept inside a bag and that inside a dark shed.

I tell you what you ain't half glad you did things properly when you hook into a bigger fish !

Richox12

Reaction score
No particular downer on it. It's just one of the first and most familiar "hi-tech" pre-stretched monos. Like most lines of its type, it breaks below the stated breaking strain and, due massive underrating, way less than a standard mono of the same stated breaking strain.

But that is all pro-rata to diameter. D/S will be a lot stronger diameter for diameter compared to a so called 'standard mono'. Same with other 'hi-tech' lines.

Unfortunately 4lb line does not seem to be 4lb line (in the same way that 0.20mm line does not seem to be 0.20mm line).

It's all a bit of a mess. No wonder people get confused !!!!

sam vimes

Reaction score
But that is all pro-rata to diameter. D/S will be a lot stronger diameter for diameter compared to a so called 'standard mono'. Same with other 'hi-tech' lines.

Unfortunately 4lb line does not seem to be 4lb line (in the same way that 0.20mm line does not seem to be 0.20mm line).

It's all a bit of a mess. No wonder people get confused !!!!

Don't worry, I know all that. Preaching to the choir or teaching granny to suck eggs, take your pick.;):p