Barbel Boily

plattsy

Reaction score
On the Thames for a couple of days next week, have never used boilies before, any suggestions as to which ones to start with? Cheers.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I'd suggest fishmeal boilies. Also worth trying halibut pellets too.
good luck. Which part of the river will you be fishing?

plattsy

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion Peter. I have been down the pellet route along with all the other traditional baits with varying degrees of success and, of course, failure. As I have not tried boilies before thought I'd give them a go. I will be fishing the Laleham, Chertsey area of the Thames.
Cheers.

graham472

Reaction score
Fishmeal would be a good choice.Whatever one you may choose stick with it and not chop and change.Use crushed bait in a PVA bag or whole baits on a stringer for every recast.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
The pegs by the road bridge at Laleham seem to be the hot faves but mainly get results at dusk into dark. You need to chuck right over which is tricky during the day due the boat traffic.

plattsy

Reaction score
Peter/Graham
Great advice guys, exactly what I was looking for. Cheers.

cocker

Reaction score
i like the "dynamite baits" marine halibut boilies, 15mm

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yep, try Meaty Marine boilies and possibly the new, in-bait, all things Krill. A soft paste wrap on your boilie may be a winner too.

clive morton

Reaction score
a nice spicy flavoured bait containing robin red gets their taste buds tingling try mincing some of your boilies up in to a paste and moulding that around your hookbait.
also a bait ive had some fish on this season is sticky baits bloodworm dumbells they really seem to attract the fish ive also caught a 21lb trent common on the same bait.
regards clive.

plattsy

Reaction score
Lots more good advice and suggestions guys, cheers for that. Forgot to consider the size, is 15mm with a paste wrap the considered opinion of most?

cg74

Reaction score
Lots more good advice and suggestions guys, cheers for that. Forgot to consider the size, is 15mm with a paste wrap the considered opinion of most?

If you're fishing an area that gets angling pressure, then no way would I use such a big bait. A 12mm boilie or better still 10mm with either a thin layer of paste with a slowish breakdown or thicker layer of paste that breaks down fast.

Regards 'which boilie' - Any spicy fishmeal based one should work but I'd avoid really overpowering pungent fishy ones.