River monitoring project

D

david corless

I am a student at Exeter university Looking at the use of the internet to display river information data, so anglers and other river users can visually see real time immages of river levels and conditions prior to arrival at the river. I have set up a web site containing further info. and a few questions for research purposes. Please visit: http://davidcorless.freeservers.com
Thankyou for your time (dave)

A

Ashe Hurst

Hi David,

I hope you can share your views on a situation in my area of north kent.

My local stretch of the rivercray is now a dumping ground for joy riders burnt cars and buliding/household waste.

Its set within the councils Geen and Clean sceme.The EA say its down to the council to sort out.
The council say it has no powers and cant afford a clean up anyway.

Im in the process of forming a Angling and nature,conservation project for this 1 mile stretch of river.
The EA and council are keen for me to do so.
Having studied fisheries and land
management,also dealt with local councils and development companies in the past,I know
that i have a great task ahead of me.

Any of your views or suggestions would be welcome as your river monitoring program could be of use to me too.

S

Stuart Bullard

Ashe. I am from Orpington. Are there any fish in the Cray? I fish the ODAA Cray Lakes and always wondered about the river.

A

Ashe Hurst

I used to fish the lakes on day ticket yrs ago,by critals corner.
The cray is a great little river to fish once you get to know it.
I used to fish at foots cray meadows until they banned fishing there,bream,tench,carp,roach and perch.Also odd trout to feeder.
I know fish the weir,above and below at hall place,nice bream and chub,odd perch and roach a few small pike too.
As you go towards crayford town there are a few small swims holding chub to 4lb and plenty of roach and gudgeon.
The gardens in the town centre hold chub,roach and perch of a few ounces,still a good little fish though,kidds like that bit too.
From the town i rove behind the houses,good chub,rudd,roach and perch with the odd pike.
From maiden lane to thames road its mainly roach,perch,rudd and odd chub and pike.
This stretch was poluted with raw sewage 3 yrs ago,now back on form but no bream,tench carp or mitten crabs.

Most methods work well,give it ago,its free.