Barbel/EEL

rickt

Reaction score
Firstly I'd like to say Hi All. The names Ricky, 32 from Nottinghamshire. :)

I love Carp Fishing and only recently after 19 years decided to try my luck at a little river fishing for Barbel, well that's what I was secretly aiming for as 19years is the last time I remember fishing with my father for EEL and as far as he was aware a trip to a certain part of the Trent last Thursday was aimed for eel lol.

Myself and a few old timers lets say had chosen the A1 Pits stretch of the Trent for our night session and though I really enjoyed being out fishing, company and memories I was kind of sad that he and "myself" :p blanked regards eels.

To cut it short I have travelled miles upon miles around Newark, N/S Muskam, Winthorpe, Dunham, Collingham, Bobs Island Etc to locate places we used to fish many years ago and it seems that between them, all the better places we once knew were run by an Angling Association! Not only that we have struggled to find parts of the Trent that are possible to park close by and Night Fish, and if owned by a AA no night fishing at all?? Before I go on i'd like to add I do plan a return to Bobs Islands..

So the question is would anyone be so kind to point me in the right direction. I'm looking for a water with EELS,Barbel. I feel a little stupid asking for help as at one time it was so easy to find the right water. I'd prefer it be apart of the Trent and like I say not a million miles to walk,, that said if I have to walk I will, just thinking of the older legs :)

Hopefully someone can help,, also I would not mind paying for a permit IF Night Fishing was possible and worth the coin.

Kind Regards

Ricky

B

binka

Hi Ricky & welcome to FM.

Eels were once regarded as a nuisance on the Trent by many as i'm sure you will know but appear to be quite rare these days which is probably down to a general decline in their numbers.

I'm happy to say that I had one last week around a pound in weight on meat whilst barbel fishing not a million miles from Newark but other than Bob's Island which you mentioned I'm struggling to suggest accessible day ticket water where you can park close by and night fish.

If it's any help I was talking to a pair of zander fisherman last autumn who were packing up early one morning on Bob's Island as I arrived for a day session and they had been plagued by eels during the night, plenty of barbel there too with the average weight seemingly around 7lb and some good lunkers but be warned the whole place is a snag pit!

Good luck with it, I hope you find some good eel fishing :)

Edited to add: you could always bite the bullet and apply to join an association or society with a decent variety of water, I was in exactly the same position as you and did this and am now enjoying many more stretches of water... it seems a hassle at the time but it soon comes around when you get in

Last edited:

rickt

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply binka.

The problem is who do I choose. I know of a few such as Collingham, Notts AA, and I trip out yesterday towards Sutton on Trent we noticed The Barbel Society

Night Fishing is a must for me as I cant stand packing up after baiting and working a swim from dawn till dusk, nothing better than a night fish :D ,,, like I say,, as far as i'm aware none of the above offer Night Sessions..

I have my next 3 sessions planned after a few hours drive yesterday, hopefully it pays off ;)

john step

Reaction score
I have never seen anyone in a rush to pack up before nightfall on most of the venues you mention!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

barbelbuster

Reaction score
Ricky,
Iron and Steel section at Besthorpe.15 pegs Barbel, chub. Bream and probably eels but we don't target them. Night fishing allowed and actually encouraged to keep none members away. Park behind pegs (weather permitting) or only few yards away on track.
Angling Trust winter league fianl won this Saturday of this section.
Not sure how to send you info, probably you need to send me private email but not sure how you do that on this site.

rickt

Reaction score
I have never seen anyone in a rush to pack up before nightfall on most of the venues you mention!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The above granted,,, I don't want to be taking the P... I'm basicly learning the waters all over and I will stick by the rules. Dawn/Dust

---------- Post added at 13:17 ---------- Previous post was at 13:16 ----------

Ricky,
Iron and Steel section at Besthorpe.15 pegs Barbel, chub. Bream and probably eels but we don't target them. Night fishing allowed and actually encouraged to keep none members away. Park behind pegs (weather permitting) or only few yards away on track.
Angling Trust winter league fianl won this Saturday of this section.
Not sure how to send you info, probably you need to send me private email but not sure how you do that on this site.

I will PM you tomorrow.

Kind Regards

Rick :)

godsdice

Reaction score
Here's a few to keep you going that are day ticket or free fishing where you can have your car behind you that you can night fish:
Farndon (Parish stretch in front of pub)
Bobs Island
A1 Pits
Winthorpe Rack
Collingham
Besthorpe (Scunny water)
South Clifton (Scunny Water)
Dunham Bridge