Which Camera

black rod

Reaction score
I'm sorry if I am repeating a previously asked question.

It's my birthday in September and my darling wife has agreed to buy me a new camera, I would like to get into photography as there is so much stuff to photograph here in NZ.

I have my Pentax Optio W90 waterproof digital camera with remote control for my fishing photo's and general snaps, but I want something that I can attach a lens to so that I can get closer to the subjects. I'm looking for a digital slr with lens kit and quiet like the look of the Canon EOS 100D.

Do any of my fellow forum members use a digital slr ? what would you recomend ?

Attachments

• Pentax.jpg
    Pentax.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:

chav professor

Reaction score
I use a Nikon D60.... entry level SLR. The picture quality is superb. The 'auto' setting is intelligent and makes dog walkers, a few of my friends and even my tripod look like David Bailey.

Entry level pricing? expect to pay 350 of our English pounds for a similar example (D60 is looong gone out of production).

The problem is..... I now want to upgrade.... looking at £800 for a replacement that will knock the socks off what I have.

simonp

Reaction score
I've just bought my daughter a Nikon DX3100 for her 21st. Cracking entry level SLR, the pictures are superb. Well worth a look.

garethdwatkins

Reaction score
hi there
The EOS 100d id a nice little camera, but personally for a few quid more I'd go for an EOS 60d simply for its screen that is articulated and makes a huge difference in brighter light.
The kit lenses are ok for a starter but in time, (next birthday or Xmas) I'd suggest a better quality zoom.
Regards
Gareth

black rod

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips so far, the other model I was looking at is the Canon EOS 700d, it came with the same lens kit and had the flip screen, it was only a few $ more. I have done a bit of research and it also has a longer battery life.
I was hoping to get one from Amazon in the USA but you can't get them shipped to NZ. There were some great deals to be had, saying that the NZ$ is strong at the moment so it does make some purchases a bit cheaper.

garethdwatkins

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips so far, the other model I was looking at is the Canon EOS 700d, it came with the same lens kit and had the flip screen, it was only a few $ more. I have done a bit of research and it also has a longer battery life.
I was hoping to get one from Amazon in the USA but you can't get them shipped to NZ. There were some great deals to be had, saying that the NZ$ is strong at the moment so it does make some purchases a bit cheaper.

They are all pretty decent cameras.. so you won't really go wrong..A flip screen is a must IMHO... but the 60/70 series is a real cut above the 100/700 series in robustness, ergonomics etc... You get decent wheels to change the settings which you can do with the camera to your eye, and not horrible little buttons... the camera body is also alloy rather than polycarbonate... For the few extra Dollars/Euros/Pounds personally I think its worth it. These are features you get on the high end gear I used when I was in the business professionally.

cheers
Gareth

MarkTheSpark

Reaction score
It's more important to give some attention - and spend as much as possible - on the lenses as the body; most modern SLR bodies are competent enough, but the kit lenses supplied with low-end bodies are a bit average.

Personally, I'd go for the cheaper body and the more expensive lenses every time. Not only because you'll get better pictures, but after a few years, a digital camera body has limited value. But the lens will hold its value, if it's a gfood one.

I still use a Nikon 80-200 2.8 zoom that's 25 years old. Fantastic bit of glass.

blackout

Reaction score
I always thought a SLR was a riffle?

Anyway dont know why im commenting on something Im not so good at my camera went swimming and couldnt fetch it out with the net it was a point and shoot one no biggy it only cost £15 from charity shop anyway lol

stuart_s

Reaction score
They are all pretty decent cameras.. so you won't really go wrong..A flip screen is a must IMHO... but the 60/70 series is a real cut above the 100/700 series in robustness, ergonomics etc... You get decent wheels to change the settings which you can do with the camera to your eye, and not horrible little buttons... the camera body is also alloy rather than polycarbonate... For the few extra Dollars/Euros/Pounds personally I think its worth it. These are features you get on the high end gear I used when I was in the business professionally.

Have to agree with Gareth. I'm using the Canon 600D which is a great camera, has more than enough features and functions for the average angler (numerous preset modes plus full manual settings), has the swivel screen (for those self shots) and is a reasonable price. However, the 60D is much more robust with its alloy body. Ultimately, my choice came down to budget, but I am still very pleased with the 600D and would recommend it.