close in carp

neil smith 2

Reaction score
ive started fishing my local lake for carp. the problem is its only possible to fish about 20 meters out due to heavy populated lilly pads. ive been fishing just off these lillys with good success. trouble is as soon as my alarm screams off the carp are in the thick lillys. i was just wondering what the best rig is to use in this situation. at the moment im using a standard inline rig but alot of people are using safety clip rigs. i havent lost any fish yet but everyone else seems too loose quite often. obviously this tells me some thing but i would like your thoughts as im a newbie to carp fishing.

also in this situation how would i go about surface fishing?

C

Cakey

If it aint broke dont fix it...........................stick with what is working

Carpless

Reaction score
Like cakey said. Inlines means no dangly bits to wrap around and if its working then stay with it. What do you mean by how would you surface fish though? Same as any other place...

neil smith 2

Reaction score
yeh thanks guys. just found some rigs for the second part of the question

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
If its quite enough i would bait up a couple of swims as when you get a fish it will kill that swim for a while. Put a bit more bait in and come back later. Just keep rotating the swims.

With regards to rigs just keep them as simple as possible. Less to catch up on the lillies.

Have you ever thought about float fishing instead of the usual bolt rigs.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Depends on depth. Just need a good stuby waggler if its shallow and not to windy. If its windy just use a longer float

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
If you are fishing close to lillies and the fish gets into the lillies before you can get to the rodyou could always fish further away and sit closer to your rods.

A good rig to use would be a Side Clip System which will eject the lead as soon as the lead become entangled in the lillies. Here is a sample

http://smartcarping.blogspot.com/2008/01/how-to-setup-side-clip-system-using-rig_23.html

It would be a good idea to fish bigger hooks and stronger lines and be right on top of your rods so you can hit the bites as soon as possible. When you land one of these carp if you find you are causing mouth damage then you should rethink you approach.

Tight Lines

Shine

Reaction score
close in carp...

2 or so weeks ago I fished about a foot off the bank. Only the last eye on the rod was poking over the edge. I notice the day before how the carpwere coming right in close to peoples swims and having the bread that was there. When the person goes the carp came in. I tried it and my result was a beautiful 13lb 8oz mirror.

Think thats what you call close in carp /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Shine

Reaction score
Nice one mr cakey. I love fishing that way especially when you can see them coming to take the bait.

But saying that I love catching them a foot in or 60 yrds out /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

C

Cakey

cant say to much because Ive sent a report in but the water was very coloured so couldnt see them !