Tigers - a very big Grrrr!

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So you're doing a bit of timber poaching in an Indonesian National Park. You set a trap to catch deer to eat (an illegal act in itself). Then the trap catches a tiger cub. Big mistake.

Indonesian authorities search for men trapped up trees by Sumatran tigers | World news | guardian.co.uk

Similar sort of thing happened in south India many years ago when I was camped in some jungle that held some very valuable sandalwood trees. Six men illegally cutting sandalwood, having a party drinking arak and smoking bhang around a night camp- and cook-fire to celebrate, then a big herd of elephants turned up. Four of the six sandalwood poachers dead.

The elephants moved upriver towards my camp next. Me, my girlfriend and a local old boy (whose coracle we were hiring and who was paid for this and guarding our camp when we were out fishing with as much food as he could eat and a few bob a day) spent the entire night keeping a huge bonfire alight, letting off firecrackers, yelling and banging pots and pans.

The old boy returned to his village the following morning, never to return except to collect his leaky old coracle a few weeks later.