Carrotts?

blackout

Reaction score
Anyone used carrotts as bait i have been invited out fishing next week or maybe sunday with the lads after we heard a good tip, ill let you know what we catch fishing for bites ;)

Terry D

Reaction score
I remember Billy Makin saying to me many years ago, that he'd never seen anyone catch so many carrots (golden orfe) and no carp, in the early days of Phase 3. All the carp were about 4 pegs away from me and that's all I could find up the far shelf. I weighed in about 15lbs of them.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Back in 2009 there was an article in the AT about someone who carved a fish shaped lure from a carrot. He set it on a deadbait rig and wobbled it in and caught a pike first chuck.

Chris Hammond ( RSPB ACA PAC}

Reaction score
Back in 2009 there was an article in the AT about someone who carved a fish shaped lure from a carrot. He set it on a deadbait rig and wobbled it in and caught a pike first chuck.

That's an old Fenland thing Peter. People have claimed to use carrots as makeshift lures for as long as I've been Pike fishing. I don't think it takes the biggest leap of faith to think it quite likely a jack or two could be tempted with a jerkbait type carving. I've seen them attacking floating crisp packets and coke tins on the Fen rivers in the past.

blackout

Reaction score
Daft idea it may be who knows but im talking about using real carrotts on the hook or hair rigged on a mixed fishery.

i will be float fishing using a size 20 and will cube up some small peices for the hook, a mate will do the same hair rigged up in the water and another mate will use bigger pieces hair rigged on the feeder rod. other than that we dont know what to use for feed maybe some micro pellets over the top died with orange food colourings from tesco?

Cheers

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Orange is a good colour for attracting fish and their natural curiosity should get you a few bites.

blackout

Reaction score
Well what va loverly day today I burned my neck and arms I look like beetroot lol but never mind beetroot (oh I dont know though) the carrotts.... do carrotts catch?

YES THEY DO! :p

We fished a nice lake near harrogate today but packed up at 2 oclock to beat the traffic through Leeds.
It was a test, we got an idea off someone we know on facebook who has had some good success with carrotts and he suggested tumerick so thats what we did. One of my mates wasnt to sure so he brought allsorts of alternitives - just in case!
We neednt have worried too much though and they caught well straight from the off this morning, the bloke next to me was using banded pellets and I caught just as well with tiny punched carrotts on the hook in the margins that had been coated in the spice last night. The other lads one fished his carrotts on the hook up in the water about 12" deep just on the drop and it was a fish a chuck rudd and roach mostly and even a couple of nice crusians on the drop which is strange not proper ones though but still nice about 1lb. Another mate ledgered for the carp using cubed carrot soaked in pineapple SAC juice and he caught carp and some really big bream over near the island. After chipping in for paying petrol and ticket I spent £10 and we shared the carrotts so brilliant day and will defo try them again.

PS plus I got a brilliant free gift (sworn to secrecy though lol) :wh

Last edited:

honey9

Reaction score
Its oppressively hot over here so my fishing trips have been limited to a couple of hours at most and more usually an hour or less on the local river after the sun has gone off the water.

mick b

Reaction score
I dont know if this is a wind-up or not?

But-------Carrots do absorb most fluids well.

In New Zealand the Department of Conservation uses tonnes of them, soaking them in poison and air dropping them to control the possums.
Just thought I'd mention it :eek:mg: in case the bunny hungers are lurking :D

blackout

Reaction score
I dont know if this is a wind-up or not?

But-------Carrots do absorb most fluids well.

In New Zealand the Department of Conservation uses tonnes of them, soaking them in poison and air dropping them to control the possums.
Just thought I'd mention it :eek:mg: in case the bunny hungers are lurking :D

Its certainly not a wind up mate they work very well and hook hold is brilliant too :w

poor possums eh? conservation my arse what have they done to deserve been poisoned?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
poor possums eh? conservation my arse what have they done to deserve been poisoned?

Bush Tail Possums in NZ are vectors of bovine tuberculosis and as such are a major threat to; dairy, beef and deer farming across the entire country.

The Possum has virtually no natural predators and has been proven to be responsible for close to 70% of all new bovine tuberculosis outbreaks in modern times.

Last edited:

blackout

Reaction score
Thanks Peter I didnt know that!

Wasnt ther e something similar in england with the goverment killing badgers giving cows TB?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Peter I didnt know that!

Wasnt ther e something similar in england with the goverment killing badgers giving cows TB?

Yes, very similar.

The proposed Badger cull goes ahead in Gloucestershire and Somerset later this month . . . . . . .

There have been complaints currently as only a small proportion of the shootings are to be observed apparently.

Chris Hammond ( RSPB ACA PAC}

Reaction score
Bush Tail Possums in NZ are vectors of bovine tunerculosis and as such are a major threat to; dairy, beef and deer farming across the entire country.

The Possum has virtually no natural predators and has been proven to be responsible for close to 70% of all new bovine tuberculosis outbreaks in modern times.

Which is more than the badger has.

Keith M

Reaction score
Well you'll have to forgive me if I don't use carrots for bait; mind you flavoured artificial sweetcorn works so whos to say ? LOL.

But; there are a few Fly rods out there that are made from 'Carrot Fibre'; it was being hailed as a replacement for 'Carbon Fibre' a couple of years ago with talk about using it for coarse fishing rods; so the humble carrot may have its uses after all. However you don't hear a lot about it lately though.

Keith M (BoldBear)

Last edited:

blackout

Reaction score
Ive just read the badgers are not to blame its the cows that have TB so we will shoot the badgers because they spread the disease - utterly madness! :mad:

Carrot rods anybody got one? watch out for the bunnies lol

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Isn't part of the appeal of tiger nuts supposed to be the crunch?
Maybe it works for carrots, too.
Free idea - apples float, don't they? Cheap, crunchy pop-ups/wafters, anyone?

laguna

Reaction score
Alan, apples take on flavouring really well too! :w

Apparently fresh apples float because 25% of their volume is air... more of a wafter than a proper pop up?