Does braid deteriorate with age?

brianc

Reaction score
So I know that you should change your mono fairly often due to the fact that it loses strength from exposure to sunlight etc but what about braid?

Apart from damage caused by abrasion etc, does it also lose it's strength over time?

TIA

P

pointngo

it will eventually but you can get years out of it mate. On bait rods (assuming no damage of course) I usually load a reel then turn it around after 2-3 years, then use the other end for another 2 years or so. :thumbs:

barbelboi

Reaction score
I'd agree with the above and have kept braid for the best part of five years without any adverse effects. I find that braid improves with age and if I put new braid on then I'm happier when I've use it a few times to it to 'wear' it in.
Jerry

terry m

Reaction score
Completely different animal to monofilament.

When not angling I would strongly advise to keep out of direct sunnlight, otherwise it will last (IMHO) 4 or 5 years before changing.

brianc

Reaction score
Thanks for the information folks.

I'll follow the idea of reversing it after a couple of years and then discarding it after a further 3... after all it's not cheap!

P

pointngo

Unless you have to change it regularly for some reason.. losses, abrasion damage etc. then it works out pretty cheap. :thumbs:

mick b

Reaction score
Does braid deteriorate with age?

Braided Dacron will - after two years respool.

Spectra/PE/Dyneema will last 6-8 years or more, especially the high-end Japanese makes ie; I'm on my 8th year using WX8 and never even turned it on the spool.

Beware; much of the low end 'braids' are not made with 100% Spectra fibres and do weaken with use.