Back to the good old

• Thread starter Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)
  • Start date
R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I couldn't help but smile at the headlines in one of the nationals which proclaimed:

"Summer will be a Washout!"

I think back to my youth and wonder, in those days -was it ever thus? A good English summer had short periods of sunshine and heat, interspersed with showers. It had days of soft soaking rain and occasional violent thunderstorms that made the tench come on feed.

There has recently been summers in Engand and temperatures, at times, reminicent of the Kalahari. Times when the English countryside has looked like the Veld in winter.

I often wonder from the moans I hear whether the British wouldn't prefer to livein the barren heat of Saudi Arabia or the rancid stinking sweaty haze of Lagos.

Well would you?

Personally I much prefer a summer like we have now.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Well Ron, you have to remember that now we have Politically Correct Weather, its gone all Muslim on us:

Occasionally Sunni' but mostly Shi-ite!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

C

Clive

Very funny and very apt.

And you could say the same for the weather as well Peter. (in deference, silly thingy here)

fred hall

Reaction score
change of direction Ron but connected to summers long gone. Did you fish Castle Loch at Lochmaben, Scotland, in either summer 1964 or 1965?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I had two trips up to Castle Loch near Lochmaben. One would be ca 1964 and the other 1966 with my old mate Steve Crawshaw. Those trips would have been in August or September. We caught lots of bream up to about 6 lbs.