A little walk

• Thread starter Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)
  • Start date
R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I borrowed a set of magazines from a friend the other day. It is the 60s Magazine: "Creel", edited by John Nixon. It covers all styles of angling too.

Let's see if some of you can remember a few of these contributors:

Jonathan Webb, Harry Tallent, Clive Gammon, Peter Wheat, Fred Buller, Ian Gillespie, Winston Hall, P.D. Howse, David Carl Forbes, L.S. Patterson, Leslie Moncrieffe, Geoffrey Bucknall, Keith M. Robinson, Ewan Clarkson, Prof. A.F. Magri-MacMahon, Ken Seaman, Bill Keal, E. L. Matthews, Trevor Housby, and of course the redoubtable Richard Walker.

He always signed himself off as Richard in the magazines, yet ****, in Angling Times.

How many of you have been around long enough to remember a few of those names?

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
Lots of the women around here knowof ****, thats for sure.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Ron, was Venables omitted deliberately or was that an oversight? I too remember them all, plus some names not on your list.

A quality magazine for the time and no mistake. I've fished with a few of them on the list too.

Happy memories.

The Sogster

Reaction score
Takes me back to when I was a child, it was reading articles and books by most of those great anglers during the '70s that gave me the knowledge and inspiration to fish the way I do today.

Lark

Reaction score
It was probably the fault of Peter Wheat and Clive Gammon that I became blissfully obsessed with angling from the age of about nine.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Venables was editor for the first 18 then fell out with the publisher over costs. It ran for 47 issues (I've got 44 of them). I think Venables reappeared near the end as a contributor.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I have the issue he re-appeared in.

Venables was never my favourite writer for various reasons, more noteworthy being his plaigurism.

Thanks Derek for the loan by the way, some great memories have come back.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Shelob,

Peter Frost I still know very well. I was only chatting with him the other day. But he doesn't figure in these editions of Creel.

The other magazine I liked and which I did a bit of work for was "Angling". Ken Mansfield was the editor, one of the nicest men I ever met.

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Ric Elwin wrote (see</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>Lots of the women around here knowof ****, thats for sure.
</blockquote>In Cheadle Hulme!!!!!! Surely not, Cheadle maybe, Cheadle Heath certainly...but Cheadle Hulme....that's bordering on Bramhall...they only know of Richards in those parts !

The Monk

Reaction score
yes i remeber all of them and still have the early Creel magazines, 18 where published from memory then it changed to Creel and Angling, and later it changed to Angling and ran until the early 80s, circa 82, I think I have a full set of all of them, I`ll have a full set in the attic, the Creel magazine had an unusual smell about it, it was something to do with the print they used at the time, mine of course will smell a bit musty by now. Its surprising how many angling magzines we`ve had in angling, match angler, coarse angler, David Halls Coarse fishing, later changed to coarse fisherman and then changed back again, so many many gone by the wayside, I`ll have most of them too, funny how we save these things.

The Monk

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>PoshPaul (ACA) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote><blockquote class=quoteheader>Ric Elwin wrote (see</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>Lots of the women around here knowof ****, thats for sure.
</blockquote>In Cheadle Hulme!!!!!! Surely not, Cheadle maybe, Cheadle Heath certainly...but Cheadle Hulme....that's bordering on Bramhall...they only know of Richards in those parts !</blockquote>
cheadle heath and cheadle hulme, trust me on that Posh/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>The Monk, wrote (see</blockquote><blockquote class=quote><blockquote class=quoteheader>PoshPaul (ACA) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote><blockquote class=quoteheader>Ric Elwin wrote (see</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>Lots of the women around here knowof ****, thats for sure.
</blockquote>In Cheadle Hulme!!!!!! Surely not, Cheadle maybe, Cheadle Heath certainly...but Cheadle Hulme....that's bordering on Bramhall...they only know of Richards in those parts !</blockquote>
cheadle heath and cheadle hulme, trust me on that Posh/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>Monk - pm some names, addresses, phone nos...and the photos-just to be safe!!!
</blockquote>

W

Wolfman Woody

All the Cheadles and Bramhall - debtors retreat!

/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

The Monk

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>PoshPaul (ACA) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote><blockquote class=quoteheader>The Monk, wrote (see</blockquote><blockquote class=quote><blockquote class=quoteheader>PoshPaul (ACA) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote><blockquote class=quoteheader>Ric Elwin wrote (see</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>Lots of the women around here knowof ****, thats for sure.
cheadle heath and cheadle hulme, trust me on that Posh/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>Monk - pm some names, addresses, phone nos...and the photos-just to be safe!!!
</blockquote></blockquote>
some of them would be older than me now mate, you wouldnt want to know/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
I was brought up in Cheadle Hulme, lived in Edgeley for 15 years, Heaton Moor for 5, now I'm stuck in Cheadle Hulme again for a while, living at my parent's (arghhh!)

As long as you only have one head, can string3 words together, and pretend that you're really interested in the slappers, you can pull in any of these areas. Probably anywhere in the world actually, with the exception of India. Oh and France, where they just don't get me.

Reminds me, must do some tidying, have a visitor this evening...