introducing a young angler

angler_jack

Reaction score
Hi, I'm 18 been fishing since i was about 7 when grandad left me a rod in his will. Started of sea fishing (mostly as i live a 10 min walk away from a beach) but my older brother started Carp fishing and followed him along to out local commercial one day to watch and i was hooked. He in recent years has turned into an all out carp angler, which isn't really my cup of tea, I prefer being more of an all rounder and appreciate catching all species on all methods. Perch being my favorite. Anyway when i was about 15 my brother moved away and since my dad doesn't fish nor any of my friends that meant i was on my own... but i stuck at it due the fact i don't drive and my dad isnt really willing to drive me to any lake which isn't 10 minutes away it meant for last 3 year i have fished one fairly poor overstocked commercial.I have had a few other trips one down to the Avon for barbel, or another little lake on the corner of farm that the farmer lets me fish for free. In the last few months i have been able to fish more day ticket waters around the brighton area as my girlfriend has a car (winner! ;) ) But still these are rare. I feel like ive been at the backend of alot of fishing snobbery as well, since i only used to get money for birthdays and Christmas i had to get as much gear as i could for a little as possible. so most of my rods and that are now of cheap fishing websites and not one cost more then around 30 quid. ( still don't understand why they look down on me because of my gear, i still catch fish and a lot.

Aim is to get through university, where sadly fishing doubt will be the priority, although at reading uni there is a lake stocked with fish on campus hopefully i can fish! anyway thats me, any advice on how to get to more venues and fish more, i live in between Brighton and worthing btw! Also desperately want to catch my first pike this winter at some point...

P.Bs
Carp: 12lb ,local commercial, halibut pellet method feeded
Perch: guessing around 1lb + mark got a picture from a few years ago but had no scales..
Bream: 2lb, feeder fishing corn at the same place
Rudd:1lb 1oz, farm pond. using a maggot feeder
Roach: 1lb 8oz, waggler fishing with maggots
Barbel: 3lb, on the one trip i done to the avon, ledgering halibut pellet
Tench: 3lb, same old commercial using the call boilies and pva bags

anyway thats me in a very wordy nutshell :)

shortpaul

Reaction score
It's a very good bunch here mate, you'll learn loads - I know I have!

Welcome to the forum :D Are you, by any chance, studying in Norwich? I didn't realise this, but that lake has a fairly cheap season ticket for students... I finished last year and graduated with a Chemistry BSc.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello Jack and Welcome to FishingMagic

Feel free to ask about anything you are unsure of and I know the guys here will help you out.

Enjoy.

dangermouse

Reaction score
Hi Jack, welcome to FM. Don`t let the tackle snobbs spoil your day, all that matters is that you enjoy your fishing be it with a £10 rod or a £1,000 rod.

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hi Jack, welcome to FM.

Don't give a second thought to the price of your tackle. A mate of mine has started fishing again after a 30 year layoff. He got all of his tackle out of the loft which includes a 12ft rod (bottom 2 sections bamboo painted black, tip section solid green fibreglass) an Intrepid reel, the one with a solid wire bail arm and no line roller, a box full of old Avon and porcupine quill floats and a wicker basket to put it all in. It took all my powers of persuasion to get him to buy new line!

He is happy as a sandboy just to be fishing again and the owner of the fishery where I take him calls him "The Wicker Man"

There's always someone poorer than you for tackle but rich in the enjoyment of fishing!