Yongnuo YN-128 Wired/RF Wireless 10-pin Remote Review

Geoff Brown

Reaction score
So, now the proud owner of a D200, I searched around for my Nikon MC-30 10-pin remote control that I used with my F90. Not being able to find it, and with an important trip coming, I am forced to look for a replacement. Unlike the early 1990s when I purchase my F90 and the MC-30 was the only choice, I find there are now a multitude of wired, IR wireless, and RF wireless options available. A couple of days spent reviewing all the available products led me to believe that the Yongnuo YN-128 wired/RF wireless remote control would suit my needs. I’ve not seen a comprehensive online review of this product, so thought I’d write my own:
original.jpg

Packaging is entirely adequate, with perhaps not quite the pizzazz of what we’re used to in the occident. There are two parts to the remote, the remote handset/RF receiver, which can be used as a standard wired remote, and the tiny RF handset. The 10-pin connector on the wired remote attaches easily to the camera socket, and locks positively with the collar as per genuine Nikon 10-pin accessories. A battery is supplied which fits into the wired handset, but is only needed for RF use. The battery is completely covered with a thin plastic with must be removed before insertion. Word of warning: A quick search of the web will show many people have not noticed the covering and presumed that their product was not working. There are two LED lights on the receiver which come into operation during RF use. The RF handset has a telescopic aerial extending to just over 12cm (just under 5 inches). The aerial feels quite well made. The RF handset has one LED.Quality of build and plastics used is very high indeed. I’d actually rate this almost on a par with Nikon, who are well known for their excellent choice of plastics. However, the coiled lead is a little thin in gauge for my liking, and the insulation material feels a little too cheap and plasticy. Were Yongnuo to upgrade to the kind of flex that Nikon use for their products I’d have no hesitation in marking 10/10 for overall build quality.
original.jpg

As already noted, the wired remote lead attaches positively and securely to the camera 10-pin socket. The larger of the two buttons on the handset is the two-stage shutter release. Operation of the pleasingly soft button is very smooth, with the first pressure activating metering and auto-focus, and a gentle damped click signalling the second stage shutter release, all as per the camera body. The coiled lead measures 430mm relaxed, comfortably stretching to over 1200mm. That’s about 17 inches stretching to 48 inches in old money. Not much more to be said here, it works!
original.jpg

Geoff Brown

Reaction score
Wireless Use.
original.jpg

Again, as already noted, the wired remote lead attaches positively and securely to the camera 10-pin socket, but now the RF receiver can be mounted on the camera hotshoe. The receiver can be mounted facing forwards or backwards in the hotshoe, and I suspect five minutes spent on the plastic mounting foot with a file or sharp modelling knife would also allow mounting left or right too. Thankfully Yongnuo has decided to stick with the secure tried and tested threaded collar flash foot locking method, not the woefully inadequate (in my opinion) flash-wobble-in-the-wind Vivitar/Nikon switch method as used on the (e.g.) SB-600/SB-800/SB-900. The receiver is switched on using the smaller of the two buttons on it, which illuminates a red LED on its front panel. The RF handset can be switched from normal to timer mode (approx. 3 second delay. Much like the receiver/handset, the RF handset button is smooth and well damped in use. The handset LED illuminates green for the first stage metering/AF mode, turning red for the second stage shutter release. A second LED on the RF receiver operates in exactly the same way.

Inclement weather precluded any outdoor testing, but a quick series of interior tests indicated 100% reliable operation at a distance of 15 metres (48 feet) through four solid brick walls.

I bought mine from ukhighlandphoto, an honest UK eBay seller who leaves very prompt feedback upon payment, and who delivered next day. I paid £23.40 inc. P&P for the privilege of having a UK seller to deal with should any problems arise (this being a RF product, and with frequency allocations being so tightly control here in the EU/UK). The exact same item is available from China for far less.

I could find no markings on either unit to indicate what frequency they were using. E-mail to the seller bought an immediate reply stating 433Mhz, which fortunately is a frequency that is legal to use in the UK. However, this product carries no CE Marking, and as such, although perfectly legal to purchase and own, in theory is illegal to sell in the EU.

All in all, very highly recommended. Just a case now of seeing how reliable the unit is long term.

C

Cakey

same one as I have .........superb

mine was £19 inc p&p superb value and will work on the 300 when we upgrade

C

Cakey

Ive just ordered a second one to do away with the wires on my log !

Rick Z

Reaction score
Mine Doesn't work. Remote lights up. Master has no lights. Only fires when large button on Master is pressed. Timer on master doesnt work. Any suggestions? Is there a manual out there. I couldn't find one. Mine may just be DOA

roger z

Reaction score
Hi Rick,

Did you remove the plastic wrapping off the battery? It's invisible actually...

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
This is the one I use, from Hong Kong - £14.99 plus postage off eBay.

Maybe not as good as the Yongnuo one but all I can say is that it works brilliantly and I've done a few hundred shots with it to date.

Dean Bielitz

Reaction score
How do I change the switch settings? My unit seems to have an amber colored hard plastic covering over the switches which mkaes it impossible to change the switches.