Hello from a cane user

wildie

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I've been fishing for 36 years of my 41 years and have recently found an interest in restoring cane rods and making my own tackle. I use it for fishing for wild carp (Hence the user name), I'm lucky enough to have 2 pools near my home containing true wild carp. I work for myself rearing chickens on our farm, so I can pick and choose when I go. I hope to learn more about different fishing methods/baits and hopefully I may be able to add some input and help some others out.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and Welcome to FishingMagic forum.

There really is something special about playing a decent wildie on a cane rod is there not, sort of more 'forgiving' I think

shaunyboy

Reaction score
i take it your from somewhere down south ?? dont think we have heard of wild carp up here , not unless your fishing the trent , pretty wild when you have a carp on

wildie

Reaction score
I'm from Northants orignally but moved to Mid Wales when I was 8. The pools I refer too are Llyn Gwyn and Pant-y-Llyn. I use the term True wild carp loosely because most people will say that there are probably no "True" wild carp left But Llyn Gwyn has only ever been stocked with trout since the cistercian monks put the wild carp in and as far as I know, Pant-y-Llyn has never seen another stocking. Although, I'm not sure how the chub got in there.

Still, "True" wild carp or not they fight like a bonefish.:)

nogoodboyo

Reaction score
Sounds like a nice place to live and fish.
Welcome to the forum.

wildie

Reaction score
Hi and Welcome to FishingMagic forum.

There really is something special about playing a decent wildie on a cane rod is there not, sort of more 'forgiving' I think

I use a A E Rudge carp rod and it feels lovely playing a carp on it. I use to use Carbon and still own some Carbon carp rods but they aren't for me. I just love the looks of cane too much. A 50 year old cane rod "Restored Nicely" is a genuine thing of beauty.:thumbs: