Reaction score
Just gathering a bit of info..
What meat and what size piece do you normally use for barbel on;

a. rivers
b. stillwater

thanks

B

binka

I've been using 10mm punched to good effect whilst feeding 6mm halli pellets and have just ordered some 17mm punches as these were the largest I could find without sawing down old rod sections etc. but I think it will come to this before I find what I want.

If I want an "optimum" size I would probably go somewhere between 10-14mm but want to experiment with much larger sizes to see if it sorts the better fish out... from experience to date I've found that bigger pieces are just as likely to get taken by a greedy 4-5 lb'er as anything so i'm thinking really outsized pieces would be better for this.

I reckon torn chunks of meat represent a more natural presentation but prefer to punch rather than tear as I always seem able to hook punched pieces more reliably straight on to the hook with a very good hook up rate and they represent a similar shape to the feed.

This is only for rivers as I've not targeted stillwater barbel as yet :) :)

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
My clubs river bailiff (Colne) holds the biggest barbel record, 17lb,
he freely admits he's a cr@p angler, and he really is :eek:mg:
Garlic spam is all he uses....

laguna

Reaction score
a. ****** ******* ***** **
b. You're 'aving a larf;)

re: b. I know :wh but it happens!!! :D

I know a guy (sometimes posts on here) who specifically targets stillwater chub, asked why he replied; "they're my favourite fish init?"

"Why don't you get on the river then?" to which he said;
"I don't like river fishing there's never anyone to talk to!" :eek:mg:

he's right of course...

meatman

Reaction score
I fish a lot of meat on rivers - hence my log-in name. Among my top baits are Spam or Supermarket own brand chopped ham and pork, the texture is a little firmer than luncheon meat. I sometimes cut the meat into strips and fry first, this creates and even firmer outer skin for hooking - or hair rigging. I break these strips into chunks to use on the hook so a not uniform cube shaped. Bacon grill is pretty good also.
My absolute favourite meat bait is Matteson's smoked sausage, this I just break off in chunks and hair rig. It comes in a handy pack, no tins involved, as ever please take the packaging home with you, don't leave it on the bank - even better remove packaging and take the sausage to the bank in a bait box, any left over can be frozen.
Lots of people swear by Peperami, I've tried it lots of time and yet to catch a fish on it.
Whichever meat I'm using, I feed with hemp and small pieces of the hookbait delivered via either bait dropper or open ended feeder plugged with groundbait.
Hope that helps!

clayton wood

Reaction score
I use Tulips chopped ham and pork. It's in a plastic tub therefore can take it to the venue without breaking the no tins rules.
ATM it's on offer at B&M for 99p

Judas Priest

Reaction score
Only fish rivers.
Tulip plain meat flavoured and unflavoured
Size wise, small rough cuts in normal conditions up to 1/4 tin in floods.
Shape wise, everything from a large rough cube to apple corer shape to the Ron Lees way.

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
Lots of different ways of presenting meat, however I can't help getting the impression that it's one of those baits that when they want it, they REALLY want it and would probably hoover up any bit they could get their whiskers on!

(Though of course, this doesn't stop me tinkering about as I persuade MYSELF that my clever variations in presentation are going to make all the difference...)

I tend to use sainsbury's own brand luncheon meat (in a light blue tin), or plain spam if it's on knockout in the supermarket. I'll take it out of the tin, cut it in to strips as long as the tin with approx three quarters of an inch square cross section, and then just break bits off the strip as and when needed. So i guess the average bait is going to be about a three quarters inch cube, with two rough sides and four smooth. If i'm feeling particularly with it, I might rough up some of the smooth... though as mentioned above, I doubt this has ever actually made a barbel think to himself.... "oh yes, actually this bit looks much less dangerous than those other regularly cut cubes...." I will also hair rig for barbel, mainly because the other baits i'm using hair rig and i will generally try three or four different baits in the course of a session. If I was going for chub, i'd be more inclined to put the meat straight on the hook, as I would if i was using it for carp on the float in the margins.

jon atkinson

Reaction score
I fish mostly still waters so don't really encounter Barbel but if I want to fish with meat I tend to buy Ulster fry from my local butcher. You can specify how thickly sliced you want it & it punches easily & stays on the hook well (in still water at least). As I say, I can't vouch for Barbel / Chub but I've had some nice Carp, Roach, Rudd & the occasional Skimmer using it.

laguna

Reaction score
Thanks to all those who have replied so far, its much appreciated.

As suspected; there is no real firm favourite meat or size of bait. I have heard it said that the three most popular are Spam, Plumrose and Tulip, though personally prefer polony sausage (firm to hold on the hair, soft adding flavour washed out look or whatever?) but its clear supermarket bought baits are cheap and very popular and the average size of bait; if ever there was such a thing is consistent with what I use for carp (15-18mm), though for barbel sometimes going up to anything like 30mm-40mm especially on a river with a fast flow.

Presentation is possibly more important than size of meat as Jim alluded to and type (I would personally opt for a stealthy approach - large, totally concealed bait stop, torn edges, irregular shape etc.) all these things need to be considered if we are to become super anglers!!! :D

some are there already, but most of us still live in hope... :wh

---------- Post added at 20:09 ---------- Previous post was at 19:54 ----------

Shape wise, everything from a large rough cube to apple corer shape to the Ron Lees way.
Whats Ron Lees way Juds?

Bluenose

Reaction score
Is 'Celebrity' luncheon meat still available? And no this isn't an Operation Yewtree joke either, I used to buy it from Kwik Save.

Judas Priest

Reaction score
Laguna

Ron was a master meat angler on the Severn for many many years and he put a lot of that success down to how he hooked the meat.

Thinly slice the tin of meat rather than cube it, break off a piece and put the hook through the middle and slide the meat up past the hook aka like a shirt button on the line. Take another piece and hang it on the bend of the hook. Bring the shirt button piece down to sit on either the hook eye or onto the bottom piece. It should then have one piece at the horizontal and one at the vertical.

The benefit of doing this is
A. The shape is not uniform.
B. it looks like a large piece but actually isn't.
C. The hook point being exposed or shielded only by the top thin sliver penetrates easier.

It's worth trying to track down some of his and another very good Severn meat man, Ron Cooper, articles down.

laguna

Reaction score
thanks for the info. That sounds like a lot of faffing around but I can at least see the benefits of presentation for the hook.

Judas Priest

Reaction score
Sure did Eddy and I'm lucky enough to have kept loads of the old mags :)
If you want to BORROW any i'll meet you in Nantwich some day.

Laguna
No flaffing about I think I wrote it more difficult or flaffing than it actually is. To be honest the presentation looks better than a cube of the stuff.

Forgot to say I get my Tulip meat from B&M bargains at £2 for a 4 lb tin.

Bluenose

Reaction score
I have probably 5/6 years worth of those mags back at my mum's house mate, a great mag back then!

Judas Priest

Reaction score
Agree Eddie as were most of the DH stable of mags.

I often get one of the boxes full out for a browse, surprising how ideas can be picked up.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
One of my favourite meat presentations. Often seems to produce good results when straight forward single pieces, or a uniform shape, doesn't.

The dark stuff is heavily glugged and the pink stuff is the top secret one with garlic!