Barbel at Bredwardine

big bad barry

Reaction score
hi folks, i'm having a day on the Wye at Bredwardine in a couple of weeks, it's the Red Lion hotel waters, can anyone offer any advice from experience of fishing there, tactics etc, i plan to target barbel and chub,
many thanks
Martin

aebitim

Reaction score
The day ticket stretch is fast at the bottom and becomes wider and deeper further up, the top 150 yds is snaggy. The barbel generally hang around the faster water. Boilies were the favoured bait 2 years ago. I was staying at the pub so only spent a couple of hours roving on that beat and managed a couple of chub from the middle of the stretch.

big bad barry

Reaction score
Thank you, i have some Richworth Martin Bowler boilies, groundbait and paste to try so fingers crossed, it looks a very scenic and pleasant venue, maybe some rain may help to freshen the water, fingers crossed anyway, i'm only a pleasure fisherman and will enjoy the day come what may
Martin

Judas Priest

Reaction score
Barry

Might I suggest contacting Dave Burr, he's the local guide for the beats or he was, he should be able to offer some helpful advice.
Contact him through his blog. Dave Burrs Wye Tales

bobbyb

Reaction score
Hiya Barry,

I've just done a BS fish-in there, well, last weekend. The day ticket stretch produced fish in the shallow runs halfway up. Beat 5, more so the lower swims, produced in the evening. I think it was beat 3, after the bend it narrows up and drops into some lovely far bank runs, look amazing swims. Only a few fish out of there but the fishery as a whole that weekend wasn't on form. Luckily, we've had a good dump of rain so see how it's flowing when you get there. Those deep, wider runs fish really well when the pace is up. Don't ignore!

Last edited:

chav professor

Reaction score
Advice? Choose the Fish and Chips... there great in the Red Lion..... Don't run out of fags as there is not a shop anywhere near.... Ummm... thats it

big bad barry

Reaction score
Thank you all for your comments, i fished beat 6 and only small dace and chublets and no barbel! The fishing was not too good but that appears to be the same everywhere on the rivers of late, it's VERY snaggy and lost a couple of feeders, i will give it another try maybe later in the year as it's a long drive there, i tried most baits including boilies, meat, pellet but only caught on maggot and corn, if anyone can recommend a better stretch on the wye maybe not so snaggy it would be appreciated?
Thank you
ATB Martin

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Martin. I have always found the Stretches between Hereford and Ross to be far more prolific.

IMO the Red Lion Stretch is not a patch on how it was 10 years ago when I used to fish the BS then the ex BS members events. (you have to drink a lot).

Have a look at the Wye and Usk Website for beats. or have a scout around.

It has been tough to some degree because of the low water (though had some last 2 days) but most catching between 4-10 barbel at the moment especially if fishing from 6pm onwards.

I'm popping down over the weekend for a fish, but maybe to try and entice one of the monster pike.

Graham

Steve Pope

Reaction score
Have to agree with you regarding the low water Graham, but the barbel and chub have definitely become more active since the last bout of rain.

I do like the river above Hereford - away from the Red Lion stretch - I'm sure there is some relatively untapped potential. I mean to put in a lot of effort there next year.

Mind you I like all the stretches I've fished, there's very little not to like about the Wye as long as you can put up with the canoes.

You would need two fishing lifetimes to cover this majestic river!

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Certainly is a very beautiful and productive river Steve.

What has been very evident this season lower down the river is the increased size we have encountered.

Quite a few doubles this year already. A number of 11+ topped with a 13.2.

Most stretches will produce given a reasonable approach. However with the low water up till now, it has been after 6.30pm that the fish have woken up.

A generally quiet day comes alive with fish practically attacking the feeder and a number of fish coming one after the other.

Lots of weed this Wednesday, clearing Thursday a bit and should be perfect by Sat/Sun with a tad of colour.

As said, I will be after a 25+ pike, just for a change.

Graham