Spin Doctor.

cg74

Reaction score
Has anyone used the Gardner Spin Doctor and does it work as is claimed?

I would normally just go and try one but a few years back I bought a similar product, followed the instruction and wrecked 150m of line.
So had to respool 300m of line on one of my sea reels.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPSZMsAmdtM]How to remove line twist - The Spin Doctor - YouTube[/ame]

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I have 2 or 3 of them in different sizes and have never encountered a problem with them at all.

Just don't do what a dim friend of mine did and that was to attach it to his hook length that already incorporated a . . . . . . swivel . . . . .

[insert winkey thing, . . . . HERE]

garethdwatkins

Reaction score
I've tried them in the past they do work well, but I always ended up losing them...
Best way I've found in recent seasons on the big rivers I've been fishing is tie an old 3 or 4oz lead to the main line with some PVA and to cast it as far as I can down stream. The rivers here are at least 100 yards wide in most stretches, angling downstream gives me a good long cast, certainly as far as I could cast a 'Spin Doctor'.

The PVA melts, the lead falls away and I just wind in against the current and the line naturally untwists...

Cheers
Gareth

barbelboi

Reaction score
Been using them for years as and when Colin, a couple of casts usually does it - they do what they're supposed to.
Jerry

robtherake

Reaction score
I've tried them in the past they do work well, but I always ended up losing them...
Best way I've found in recent seasons on the big rivers I've been fishing is tie an old 3 or 4oz lead to the main line with some PVA and to cast it as far as I can down stream. The rivers here are at least 100 yards wide in most stretches, angling downstream gives me a good long cast, certainly as far as I could cast a 'Spin Doctor'.

The PVA melts, the lead falls away and I just wind in against the current and the line naturally untwists...

Cheers
Gareth

A splendid wrinkle, Gareth. Thanks for that, mate :)

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

Cheers
Gareth

Good stuff, Gareth, The old ploy was to walk through a meadow of longish grass trailing a long line behind you.

My own from many years ago, using centrepins for both coarse-fish trotting and salmon baitfishing, was to feed a bare line into a longish, straight section of fastish current, checking the spool now and again to tighten the line to prevent the line bottoming-out / finding weed or a snag (then let it go again another 20 yards before stopping it once more) until you have 50-80-100-whatever yards of line out, then "Hold" - stand there for a few minutes, rod bent into the line in the twist-unravelling current :- "JOB DONE".

Andy M

Reaction score
OK, I am probably missing something obvious but if the grove in the lead is making it spin how does it end up spinning in the right direction - could it not just end up adding further twist to the line??

Chris Hammond ( RSPB ACA PAC}

Reaction score
OK, I am probably missing something obvious but if the grove in the lead is making it spin how does it end up spinning in the right direction - could it not just end up adding further twist to the line??

Isn't the direction dictated by the pent up energy in the twisted line? I've never used a 'Spin-doctor', so there's every chance I'm talking cobblers, but I've always sort of assumed that the line which is naturally trying to untwist at the trailing end drives the Doctor around the correct way as it is reeled back? :confused:

David Dalton

Reaction score
I've tried the spin doctor and it seems to work. But I agree with Andy M's point.

I'm guessing that in most reels nowadays, the twist tends always to be in a certain direction because the bale arm rotates clockwise. Presumably the spiral grooves in the spin doctor cause it to spin on retrieve, twisting the line in an opposite direction to the twist already there, so that the twists cancel each other out and straighten the line?

But does this mean that in old reel, like a Mitchel Match, where the bale arm rotates in the opposite direction to a modern reel, the spin doctor might make things worse?

Also, if you over-used the spin doctor, might it take all the twists out then start adding twists of its own?

nicepix

Reaction score

Cheers
Gareth

Being from Yorkshire I'd use a large pebble in a piece of PVA tube. Good tip though. :)

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I Heard about these years ago and allways wondered if they really worked, but thinking about it I don't think Gardener have ever marketed ''gimmicks'' one of the better companies out there! :)