how to use molasses?

nicky

Reaction score
I have just bought a 5 litre container of molasses from a farm feed store and was wondering what is the best way to use it.

Can it be used neat or should it be diluted, i was thinking of using it to soak my feed pellets in for float fishing.

Claudia Crowther

Reaction score
Using it neat can be a rather sticky process, I suppose you could use it like a glug, just dipping your pellets in.

I intend to mix it in with a bit of water, which is good to mix in with your groundbait too.

Saying that, I'm not too familiar with using molasses yet, so I'm sure the other guys and gals could give you more advice.

nicky

Reaction score
thanks i was just a bit worried that it may be too strong neat and put the fish off

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Pour some in a cup Nicky,then fill up with hot water and stir ,then add it to the mix.It be good stuff and a bargain to boot.

C

Cakey

Nicky I use it neat all the time on pellets with no problems

phillip flunder

Reaction score
Use neat with Vitalin as a Method mix Bream and Tench love it also mixed in with Halibut pellet dust (put them through a blender) as a paste for tench etc messy but good !!!!!!!!!!!!

nicky

Reaction score
sounds like you cant go wrong, i'mtaking a pop bottle of the stuff with me tomorrow im just going to give it a go

Colin W

Reaction score
i can only get in in hard blocks out of the local co-op ,would this work if melted down with hot water? its for vitalin and would i use the whole block or just a litte in how much water?. any tips would be appreciated.....col./forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Never used it in blockform colin,but if it is mollases I would think it would dissolve and be good for use in vitalin.It depends on how much vitalin you prepare but if you use too much the mix with liquid mollases becomes heavy,depends what effect you want if you want it to hit the deck intact put plenty in ,if you want it fluffy go easy.Try and get some from a farm feeds though in liquid form it will save you a few bob and allfish seem to love it .

nicky

Reaction score
either i just had a lucky day or this molasses is the bees knees.

I mixed it with vitalin, pellets, and casters for use on the methodspecimen style and had 6 carp nothing big.

I also mixed it with some vitalin and pellets but kept it drier for use in the feeder so that it would explode out, had loads of carp, skimmers, roach and bream, i was just glugging it all over the feeder neat in the end, bits were thick and fast, probably the best feedeer session i've had on my club water.

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Its the bees knees Nicky,everything seems to have a taste for it .Cheap as chips happy days .

Rickrod

Reaction score
can you use neat molasses soaked pellets with pva mesh

Colin W

Reaction score
great stuff. ,could also put treacle in pva bags its molasses just the same ./forum/smilies/nerd_smiley.gif