Can anyone tell me how to....

Richard Mchugh

Reaction score
Hello all

Ive bin looking through the forums here on fm and i cant find anythink that tells you how to do this.I was just wonderng when fishing the same spot and marking your line with marker braid or tape what ever you use. How do you keep the braid or tape at the end of your rod so it dosent have to pass through any of the eyes ie. sinking your line and using back leads you need that little bit of line to play with dont you can anyone help.

And what do most people use to mark there line marker braid or electrical tape?

And does the elelastic band around the spool work ive got visions of it stretching alot?

Anyone any info?

C

Cakey

I always carry a small ball of white wool with me ,it has various uses like finding the depth of silt etc

and I use it for marking distance I like to keep the knot away from the alarm so I always set up to get it between tip eye and next eye .

its very very hard to set up with back leads but what I do is cast out and set as above so I know Im in the right place then I pick the rod up an apply back lead ignoring where the backlead ends ups

or I dont bother with backleads and use flying backleads just to pin down two or three feet of line.

Richard Mchugh

Reaction score
Yes i no what you mean cakey lol.

but you no when you cast out and set it upat the end eye for the mark on your line how do you sink your line properly cause you have to reel in slightyly dont you then it comes in slightly dosent it. Would this move the lead or just pull the line slightly. Im not bothered about where the mark ends up as long as it dosent go through my alarm.

im going to use marker braid this will go through the eyes easy enough wouldnt it mate.

C

Cakey

unless you use a bait boat or something you aint going to get it inch perfect eveytime so its just a matter of practise and listening for the knot to go through the butt eye

Ive never tried marker braid as I say wool is cheap and has lots of other uses

Richard Mchugh

Reaction score
cheers ian and cakey ian how do you do that knot on the diagram do you no mate cheers lads for your help.

J

Jim Crosskey 2

Cakey

I understood that bit already - however, how do you remove the elastic when you finish?

cheers

Jim

C

Cakey

Jim I use the wool Ian uses elastic

I tie a very pretty bow and pull the two ends until the loops are very smal thenI cut

thenI pinch the two loops and tighten the knot

then when I want it off I just pull one of the ends

jobs a good un

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
The pole elastic will just come off due to friction as you pull the marker knot up the mono

Wooly

Reaction score
My method is as follows:
1. With just a bomb on the line work your way out to the feature you are fishing by casting close, pulling a few feet of line off, clipping up and recasting. Repeat this until the range is found and you can cast your bomb accurately to the feature, feathering it down so it does not hit the clip too hard.
2. Mark the line from the clip towards the first eye for about 12 inches using a black permanent marker pen. If you fish to another point at some point mark the line in the same way but leave a small gap then mark a small section for 2 inches. This way you can tell which mark you are using.
3. Using some pole elastic tie a sliding knot on the line at the end of the marked section.
This can be removed by just pulling it off, it will break easily enough when required without damaging the line.
4. After casting out I reset the position of the elastic so that it is on the other side of the alarm by about a foot.
5. Should you wind in to rebait etc just remember to clip up first.
6. If you forget to clip up, or you catch a fish there are 2 methods to resetting the distance.
Either cast out to another section of lake and when the elastic goes through the rings clamp the spool with your hand to stop the cast, wind in till the marked section is found and clip up as before. The elastic should always be in the general area, but, the tempo mark is more accurate.
The other method I use when possible is to walk the rig out to a stick marker in a field, then check the position of the elastic / mark before clipping up.

Hope this lot helps.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I use Fox Magic Marker - bright fluorescent colours that you'd have to be blind to miss.

I tend to mark both sides of a 'feature' to be on the safe side, using different colours.

C

Cakey

I thought those magic markers eat into your line

are you happy with them Peter ?