How did everyone get on then?

jimlad

Reaction score
Good read as usual mate!

I decided to fish with stick float and caster (two pints of them) in Saturday morning on the river tees from dawn until about 10am. Got to a stretch to find the gate closed (how dare they!) so a quick think and I decided on a different part.

P1020621_zpsfc6efb89.jpg

Set up was quite simple, stick float, 4.4lb drennan float fish (as some snags were there) straight through to a size 18 spade end. The swim was only 3 feet or so and steady so a small stick did the trick. 13 ft float rod and closed face reel finished it off

P1020631_zps8ce838d4.jpg

After trickling in caster whilst setting up, first cast and I was into a heavy lump on single caster. I proceeded to get me snagged up, twice, but each time patience and pressure got it out. Finally landed, a great start with a chub of 4lb on the dot.

P1020625_zpsf92aae01.jpg

After this, there was a bite a chuck from dace. Good fun all the same, and it didn't matter how much I stepped up the feeding, the bites from dace kept coming. I then struck into something solid which went upstream with purpose, before the hook sprung out. my heart tells me it was a barbel :(

Two chublets to 8oz followed, then I lost another big chub in some snags.

Overall, a great morning. Two pints of casters didn't even scratch the surface either.

P1020629_zps8d32fb91.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

balalur

Reaction score
Very windy today around my neck of the woods so I chose to fish a lake instead of the river.Had some work to do in the morning and only been able to start my session at 13:00. Only one lobworm and a can of sweetcorn for bait. Fished sweetcorn on a float for 1.5 hours and caught two roach...Put the lob tail on the hook and caught 3 small perch on it and after that a nice 4llb-4.5lb tench. Had 4 more roach on the sweetcorn and went home at 16:00.
Not a bad day but waiting for some more rain so I could fish the river.

nicepix

Reaction score
We've just had an offer accepted on a house so it has been hectic this week sorting things out for that. Only managed two hours in the evening on the local stretch of the River Vienne stalking / sight fishing for catfish in the back waters.

The main river is clear, wide, shallow and fast running over gravel and granite but there are some eddies and redundant mill races that hold middling catfish. I tried a couple of these looking into likely holes and baiting with pieces of sand eels to see what was about.

I had one or two false starts before landing this one on half a carp dead bait,:

21lb 6oz / 110cm

fozzie41

Reaction score
Joined Notts AA so gave the Kodak Lake a go. Not a long session because the Mrs has to go to a wedding fair.

Caught a few roach, nothing to shout about. Still getting used to fishing with the pole so quite a few missed bites

fruitowl

Reaction score
going at dawns early light tomorrow morning (tues) hope being river will have calmed and all the weekend fishing bait will have been washed away and the fish will be hungry fingers crossed.

jon atkinson

Reaction score
Went to Hurlston Hall just outside Ormskirk on Sat afternoon - not been before but it's been getting some OK reports so curiosity got the better of me. It's a decent sized lake (about 4.5 acres) with some 40 pegs. It was busy, busy busy :( so I was rather limited to my choice of swim & having walked right the way round I was the only one there without a bivvie / barrow / bite alarm! I was looking for Tench - started on double red maggot & was mithered by loads of small perch & roach so switched to corn & got a nice roach of about 1 lb followed by a common of about 6 but alas no tencas this time. Enjoyable enough fishing but way too busy / noisy for my liking - might be one to try mid-week...

smufter

Reaction score
Took my Son out on Sunday morning to try out his new rods. Small lake near us with Carp up to low 20's, although the majority are around the 8lb-10lb mark and you are "almost" (not always lol!) guaranteed to get a bend in your rod.
Started fishing on the bottom, within about 10 minutes he was into his first one, a small common of around 4lb. He was really chuffed because it's only the 2nd carp he has ever caught.
Re-cast and 30 minutes later he was in again, this time a Mirror of around 6lb. Another hour went by and bang, he was off again!! Bloody hell, I'm 3-0 down and being made to look a right idiot!
As I was helping him net it, one of my rods zipped off and I just managed to hook into a nice(ish) Common of around 8lb or so.
Things went a little quiet for the next hour or so, I'd thrown a few pieces of crust out a little earlier to see if I could tempt them up on top, and noticed that these had started to be attacked, so we changed tactics and started fishing floaters. Long and the short of it is that I got beat 6-4 by my Son, and he christened both rods which I was really pleased about. They were only cheapies as he doesn't go fishing a lot....TFG/Hardware "Atoms"...10' 2.5tc rods, very (very) slim blanks but they seem really well made for the price. I'm that impressed with them I might buy myself a couple. Only £20.00 each. Biggest Carp we caught was a Common of around 9lb (my second) but some quality time was spent together. He was full of himself on the way home though!

fozzie41

Reaction score
Took my Son out on Sunday morning to try out his new rods. Small lake near us with Carp up to low 20's, although the majority are around the 8lb-10lb mark and you are "almost" (not always lol!) guaranteed to get a bend in your rod.
Started fishing on the bottom, within about 10 minutes he was into his first one, a small common of around 4lb. He was really chuffed because it's only the 2nd carp he has ever caught.
Re-cast and 30 minutes later he was in again, this time a Mirror of around 6lb. Another hour went by and bang, he was off again!! Bloody hell, I'm 3-0 down and being made to look a right idiot!
As I was helping him net it, one of my rods zipped off and I just managed to hook into a nice(ish) Common of around 8lb or so.
Things went a little quiet for the next hour or so, I'd thrown a few pieces of crust out a little earlier to see if I could tempt them up on top, and noticed that these had started to be attacked, so we changed tactics and started fishing floaters. Long and the short of it is that I got beat 6-4 by my Son, and he christened both rods which I was really pleased about. They were only cheapies as he doesn't go fishing a lot....TFG/Hardware "Atoms"...10' 2.5tc rods, very (very) slim blanks but they seem really well made for the price. I'm that impressed with them I might buy myself a couple. Only £20.00 each. Biggest Carp we caught was a Common of around 9lb (my second) but some quality time was spent together. He was full of himself on the way home though!

Sounds a great day mate, can't wait to take my little girl fishing.

But that time that every parent dreads....when they beat you lol

fruitowl

Reaction score
well hit the river bank at 4.30 am 1 hour in and a nice 5lb barble then nothing changed to strawberry corn and groundbait 2 small bream lost one at the landing net.
building swim up nicely on far bank then along come some workmen clearing a path of fallen trees and drop some logs, 15 ft from where I was building my swim not impressed at the ignorance of the guys.
packed and came home still had 5 hrs out.
river running through quickish and very coloured looked superb thought would have fished slightly better but that's fishing :p

C

chefster

Had a sneaky little go at Clattercote on Saturday morning,before my match,fished from 7.30-11 am..after a slow start on pellet waggler ,only landing 5 carp out of 8 hooked switched to baggin waggler..this was better,and i managed to land a further 12 carp and 2 bream,losing 3 carp...Biggest fish going about 12lb,but average size was 6lb....all but one came on floating baggin waggler,the other coming on the sinking B/W...all with a white choc shellfish boilie...then went to the draw at Barby Banks for an open(but thats another story!!:D) Cheers Gaz

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Sunday was another visit to OBH at Dorking, fishing the scenic old lake.
Spent the usual 5 hours chasing skimmers and getting frustrated.
Needless to say I got battered by the locals. Enjoyed it nonetheless and learned something, as I do every time I go.

C

chefster

Needless to say I got battered by the locals. Enjoyed it nonetheless and learned something, as I do every time I go.

All these lessons we keep learning,we aught to be good by now!!!:D:D:D:D

smufter

Reaction score
Sounds a great day mate, can't wait to take my little girl fishing.

But that time that every parent dreads....when they beat you lol

Took my daughter on an overnighter to Mousehole fishery in Kent a couple of weeks ago. I missed one really good run, bit weird because my line was kiting around to the right and hadn't set the alarm or baitrunner off. I initially thought the guy in the next swim had crossed my line so I was a bit confused, by the time I realised what was happening I was too late...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Didn't have another knock after that!
My daughter caught a small mirror and then lost another slightly bigger one at the net. Thought it had slipped the hook but it turned out my knot tying skills had let her down. Just had a piggy tail of line left where the hook should have been :eek:mg: Sorry Lydz.
I gave her that one though so she beat me 2-0.
Kids eh????

aebitim

Reaction score
Out last evening floatfishing sandeel and the bass came out to play, same again tonight methinks.

fordy81

Reaction score

Fished the main lake yesterday Peter and only managed 2 skimmers. Love the lake, but the fishing seems really tough going.

Went over on to Milton and the last 2 and half hours were probably my best ever fishing session. Lost count of the tench, over 20, half a dozen crucians, 2 bream, a rudd that I guestimate to be 12oz (and a PB) and a roach that I'm sure was more than 1lb which would also be a PB. I really need to invest in some scales. lol

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score

I used to love fishing there but that was back in the mid 70's when there was only the one lake, the then bailiff/owner Graham(?) used to come round for your ticket money with two enormous G.S.D's by his side.

I spent many a happy hour there with my then father-in-law down the far end by the little dam catching Tench . . . . . . . .

I really must try and get back to some of those old venues one day

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I used to love fishing there but that was back in the mid 70's when there was only the one lake, the then bailiff/owner Graham(?) used to come round for your ticket money with two enormous G.S.D's by his side.

I spent many a happy hour there with my then father-in-law down the far end by the little dam catching Tench . . . . . . . .

I really must try and get back to some of those old venues one day

Don't hold your breath Peter. OBH is to become a syndicate, members only in the near future....