Lederhosen - Grrrr!

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Posted by someone who just about managed to survive a very un-Nun-like, though occasionally dirndl-wearing (as well as stuff out of Isherwood's Berlin 'Cabaret', though this was as much on my instigation as hers), Austrian wife.

BBC News - Sound of Music memorabilia sells for $1.3m

"The hills are alive ... with people fleeing in the opposite direction, fast..."

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Hitler, Schwarzennegger, that guy who locked his daughters up.....

The whole of Austria............grrrrrrrr

Archaeologists have shown that metals were first worked in this country by "the Beaker people" - who walked here from the Tyrol some 4,500 years ago. People have been walking out of Austria for that long- tells one all one needs to know. :)

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hitler, Schwarzennegger, that guy who locked his daughters up.....

The whole of Austria............grrrrrrrr

Archaeologists have shown that metals were first worked in this country by "the Beaker people" - who walked here from the Tyrol some 4,500 years ago. People have been walking out of Austria for that long- tells one all one needs to know. :)

"Ach! And there are such great parties and wild women at Stonehenge, I'm hearing ... I'm on my way ... Gruss Gott!"

Amesbury Archer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, Amesbury has been a holiday destimation since time began, we have Stonehenge just up the road, then there is the Neolithic village just down from my house in Durrington, Vespasian's Camp and the Hampshire Avon.

What is there not to like?

Amesbury even has a pub or two left, although one was recently turned into a Wetherspoons . . . yuk!

although the main attraction of the village I would have to say is the Tandoori Nights Indian Restaurant . . . . . . . even if you cannot park there!!!!!

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The Austrian Tyrol (lovely mountain country away from the ski resorts) and the Upper Avon have one good thing in common - grayling. Learned my early flyfishing 'trade' in the latter area, using those skills thirty years later to catch some sail-finned whackers to 4+ pounds in the former. Then there is the music of the Strauss family, one of the better things to come out of Austria...

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Sod the waltzes, have you seen the ballerinas of the Vienna State Ballet dancing to them at the New Year's Concert on Jan 1st every year? Quite enough to make me want to carry on.

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
True - also, I guess somewhere that pitched up Johannes Chrysostomus Wolfgangus Theophilus Mozart and Josef Haydn can't be ALL bad.

Still think I'd vote it off Europe if given the choice though.......:)

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yeah, I know what it's like, dorset. You wake up after a bad night on Fishing Magic and you want to invade Poland, then Austria (whose occupants rather touchingly shower you with flowers), then frack places rather closer to home. I blame it on the Master Race Mentality myself - Germans, Austrians, top-end English Anglo-Saxons...

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It is a little-known fact that the War ("Don't mention the...") was started by Vera Lynn's agent, who had a brainwave in the bath one morning about how he could make his young singer client's career go stratospheric.