How Long Can I Keep Worms For?

fordy81

Reaction score
I've got some leftover worms from yesterday and want to keep them for my next trip in a couple of weeks. What's the best way to keep them alive until then?

They're currently in the plastic tub they came in in the fridge but I'm worried they'll suffocate in there? :confused:

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Not certain that the fridge is the best bet, from memory lobworms in particular are not fans.

Store them in a bait box in a cool place,if you have a concrete floor in your garage,that should do.

Put in a little bit of damp moss, not from treated grass, and a little of mashed spud, no salt.

Keep the lid on and open it occasionally to check out for dead'uns, dead worms kill worms.

Should last a good while

fordy81

Reaction score
Thanks Fred.

No garage unfortunately but will keep them in a constantly shady spot in the garden.

I assume it's obviously important to keep them moist?

As a side note, tried to grab one off the lawn the other night and never realised how quickly the disappear down their hole. :eek:

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I'd leave them in the fridge in this weather. They like dark cool places.
As Fred said check for dead ones and remove them.

john step

Reaction score
As a tight wad who doesnt like to keep forking out for fresh worms(or anything else for that matter!) I would like to tell you of my wormery. Buy a dustbin with a lockable lid. ( so the wind doesnt make it fly off!) Mine has metal latches that clip onto the lid. Cut the bottom third off so you have in effect a plastic tube with a lockable lid. Bury the dustbin in a SHADY spot so that only a few inches and the lid are exposed above ground.
Start putting kitchen waste inside and some horse manure if available. Keep it moist. BUY some worms of your choice breed from someone like Willys worms or Yorkshire worms and set them free in your completed wormery.
You then have worms at a moments notice and they breed if you keep up with the kitchen waste and the odd dose of manure. Insulate with an old rug in the winter for year round free bait!

waggy

Reaction score
Sorry to disagree with you, Fred: Mine go into the fridge in saturated (but not with excess water) sphagnum moss from my lawn; Dendrobaena, small pinks from the marrow patch and certainly lobworms. They keep for weeks if not months. Just check now and again for the odd dead one and don't feed.
The containers are take-away tubs with well pierced lids filled right up with damp sphagnum and each containing 20-30 worms. They shrink a bit in the long term but remain lively and firm.
Fridge setting is 3 to 4.