Oh good! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

bennygesserit

Reaction score
The cleanliness of our beaches are actually DECLINING , massive profits going to water Company shareholders - more of Thatchers legacy

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

Saw those a short time ago, Fred, and thought "Shall I post them ... after my one - http://www.fishingmagic.com/forums/fm-news-feature-comments/339121-sold-down-river.html#post1246341 - yesterday....?"

You did it for me.

They need a slap and a ruddy good kicking.

Judas Priest

Reaction score
Think this has been known for years despite protestations from water companies etc that our waterways are " cleaner" than they've ever been.

Walk along any watercourse after a flood and smell what's been left behind. Years ago a flood just left brown silt and mud, nowadays it's black, white, all the colours and it really does stink.

Water companies are, due to licensing consent by the EA, allowed to increase discharge levels of partly treated effluent from sewerage works at times of high water. Problem is that no one defines what extra water on the watercourse is high water.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The EA is boogered if it does, boogered if it don't.

Water abstraction licences, for example. They date back to 1963 and give the abstractor the right to abstract in perpetuity, with licence withdrawal only possible if the EA deems the abstractor to be doing major environmental harm. And guess what? The EA then has to PAY - compensate - (undisclosed millions and millions of £s in a recent case) the abstractor for rescinding the licence. You couldn't make it up.

Judas Priest

Reaction score
Trouble is Paul anglers in the main only think of the EA in angling terms and the short term impact on their fisheries, whilst in reality it is a huge organisation with many tentacles a lot of which are in conflict with environmental protection and enhancement.

The actual fisheries side that I've had dealings with have all seemed decent hard working people and have shared my frustrations and concerns at the apparent conflicts within their own organisation.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
To my mind, now and for many years past, Anglers have been doing a piscatorial Nero - fishing and fighting amongst themselves whilst their Rome burns. Not merely the 'apathetic' littering masses so popular with the fishy top dogs when they're looking to whack those who won't join something or other, their gang / whatever, or stay on message, or, for them, just blessedly silent. Too many perma-grinning mouthy Chiefs, not enough on-the-warpath Indians.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
To my mind, now and for many years past, Anglers have been doing a piscatorial Nero - fishing and fighting amongst themselves whilst their Rome burns. Not merely the 'apathetic' littering masses so popular with the fishy top dogs when they're looking to whack those who won't join something or other, their gang / whatever, or stay on message, or, for them, just blessedly silent. Too many perma-grinning mouthy Chiefs, not enough on-the-warpath Indians.

and yet the faintest whiff of an otter eating some fat pig of a barbel and you will have an angry torch bearing mob "registering their disgust on the internet".

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
and yet the faintest whiff of an otter eating some fat pig of a barbel and you will have an angry torch bearing mob "registering their disgust on the internet".

Or threatening to bomb a brilliant, but grey-haired and sometimes borderline-batty Oxbridge and TV Classics professor on Twitter today.

At last, the penny is dropping for some of you; it's been a long long game of extreme shoveha'penny, talking to some of my fellow anglers in recent years, for me, I can tell you.

Last edited:

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Oh, that sounds like the age-old refrain of the totally change-resistant Establishment that produced someone like me. It always wants to know when It hasn't a clue, for free, when real knowledge is not only priceless but unpurchasable. I'd give It - the eStab - a wink, if I could be a'd. Takes One to know One...

bennygesserit

Reaction score
So that's the problem, what's the answer?

No idea I am firmly in the Angry Mob, I suppose my choices are join the Trust , become involved in local politics , join an eco pressure group or do nothing.

Ultimately I have my vote and of course I could understand the problem a little more which means , unfortunately doing the required reading :)

I don't even have time for fishing at the moment.

Last edited: