why do my expanders float

brummiephil

Reaction score
did some new ringers expander in my new ringers pump and they floated !

any ideas what I have done wrong

C

chefster

did some new ringers expander in my new ringers pump and they floated !

any ideas what I have done wrong

Phil did they sink in the pump? if not, then give them another pump or two.........If they did then its because they are drying out.., i usually squirt a few drops of liquid pellet or liquid betaine into mine after i,ve pumped them and i keep them in glug pots in the fridge, make sure they dont dry out in the sun when you are fishing, cheers Gaz

tonybull

Reaction score
Not always a bad thing if you get floaters. The weight of the hook will sink them and the fish suck them in easier.

C

chefster

Not always a bad thing if you get floaters. The weight of the hook will sink them and the fish suck them in easier.

Thats a good point Tony,but It might of been a bad thing if he was feeding them:D:D:D:DGaz

barbelboi

Reaction score
I always pump them up - release the air so they all sink then pump them up again and leave for the required time. I'm also a firm believer in neutral buoyancy/floaters as I never use them as feed - they're the 'good stuff' with a flavour of my choice - an easy choice for the fish with the cheap cr@p I loosefeed;)
Jerry

tonybull

Reaction score
Gaz

I know exactly what you mean, had people feed them on a club match and it can ruin others swims by taking fish with them floating in the direction of the wind.

Ringers pump sinks them good and proper, you won't get a better pump imo

C

chefster

Gaz

I know exactly what you mean, had people feed them on a club match and it can ruin others swims by taking fish with them floating in the direction of the wind.

Ringers pump sinks them good and proper, you won't get a better pump imo

Yeah mate usually one pump does it.....,I fished a match recently and about an hour from the end it was solid in the edge and it was a fish a put ,the guy on the next peg had,nt done any good , so decided to pack-up,first thing he did was throw all his bait in,within minutes all the expanders came by-closely followed by all the carp-closely followed by a bit of effing and blinding on my part:eek::eek:mg::mad:

tonybull

Reaction score
Not good Gaz :eek:mg:

I had fish feeding hard on the bottom at 13m and then all of a sudden fish starting coming up to the surface because the bloke next to me starting chucking his expanders in because he couldn't catch.

brummiephil

Reaction score
i think i pumped them to early. did them on Saturday morning for a Saturday afternoon session., then changed plans and went on Sunday

when is the right time to pump them>

C

chefster

i think i pumped them to early. did them on Saturday morning for a Saturday afternoon session., then changed plans and went on Sunday

when is the right time to pump them>

I usually pump them the night before the session and keep in the fridge,i know some people that pump them when they get to their peg,i like to have my bait prepped,as i always seem to be pushed for time getting ready for the whistle, Gaz

brummiephil

Reaction score
still had a great day on anni's at packington, with a mixed pleasure bag of crucians, bream and tench on expanders and corn

C

chefster

still had a great day on anni's at packington, with a mixed pleasure bag of crucians, bream and tench on expanders and corn

Nice one Phil mate,its like Tony said for the hook, floating expanders are actually better,cos they counterbalance the weight of the hook,just no good for feeding mate, try glugging them in an oil based additive to boost the flavour ,it does,nt make them go mushy , like it does leaving them in water..Sometimes on very silty bottoms , it can be better to feed expanders as they sit on top of the silt,normal feed pellets can sink into the silt causing the fish to root around too much,just dont feed them if there is a heavy tow on,as they will end up a couple of pegs down,cheers mate ,Gaz