Boat Fishing - wheelchairs

chub angler

Reaction score
Anyone know a charter skipper / boat that has a fairly wheelchair friendly landing/boarding arrangement to take a friend of mine out.

Most of the ones I look at have potentially a lot of carrying/lifting/lowering involved depending on the height of the tide getting on or of.

We are in E Mids so E coast preffered.

Cheers

Spurdog

alan

Reaction score
cant help you with the area, it might be worth getting a list of numbers and phoning them.

dont shoot me down, but is a wheelchair on a fishing boat a good idea? as well as getting on and off i would imagine it will be very hard to manouver with out getting in everyones way, and if the s**t ever happened it would hamper any safety actions.

can they cope with out the chair for a few hours if sat down? i know it would be a pain, but it might make your search a hell of a lot easier.

i hope you find someone that can and will take you out, but i think you will struggle.

Reaction score
I was worried about the safety issue as well, but as im from a completely different area, i couldn't help, all i will say is that most of the insurance the skippers have won't cover you if you are in a wheelchair so they may not take you aboard.

Ryan

What ever you do stay safe

Bob Paulley

Reaction score
I have noticed there are several clubs, which cater for disabled angling. However they do not appear to be in your area.

There are even purpose-designed angling boats for wheelchair-bound anglers.

As for insurance, disabled marine insurance has been available for many years. Just take a look at the numbers of disabled yotties around these days! It is a growing market.