Spectra Braid

scottiedog

Reaction score
Seen loads of Spectra Dyneema braid on eBay, not expensive at all. Is this stuff any good? Anyone using it?

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
I don't know the product, but, the question is "How old is it and how has it been stored?"

If it's far cheaper, it's probably because it never sold (that batch anyway), which would mean it is old surplus stock which may well have been lying around in various store rooms and warehouses.

Ask the seller, it costs nothing to ask.

mick b

Reaction score
Spectra/PE/Dyneema is all the same material.

Sadly there are some places around the world producing material that isn't genuine or 100% Spectra, I had a friend who brought some off the net, took it on an expensive fishing holiday only to have it consistently fail when he put the pressure on big fish.

There has also been talk on some websites about some packs of Power Pro selling on the net that are not genuine US made, but who knows?

Best advice is to buy the best, either from the country that invented it Holland, or the two that are licensed to make it Japan and the USA.

Info.
Spectra does not rot, does not have a shelf life, and is impervious to the suns rays.
Use good connections and it retains almost 100% of its test/BS.

Last edited:

colin rowe 2

Reaction score
Ref spectra braid I buy mine direct from China for pennies plus anything from a few$ usa.to £7 postage. I have loaded all my baitcasters with it use it for ledgering/feeder fishing piking and light sea fishing {I only occasionally sea fish so tens to press either a carp rod or my 4oz bait caster into use { if boat fisfing boat will handle 6-8 0z leads. this with braid is enough for all but the heaviest fishing. So therefore i suggest you buy the cheap stuff that I suspect the "named brands already de just to relabel it for big profits.

mick b

Reaction score
Rutilus2007
You are not buying Spectra from China, yes you are buying a type of braid but its not Spectra that is 100% certain.

Dyneema was invented by a Dutch company, they have only licensed two companies worldwide to manufacture the material, one is in Japan where its called PE, the other in the USA where its called Spectra.
All Dyneema/Spectra/PE fibres sold worldwide come from these three factories.

We have all heard of the Chinese factories copying all manner of popular goods, ask yourself why should your cheap 'braid' not be another example?

But as we say, "you pays your money and makes your choice".

nicepix

Reaction score
I don't know whether Chinese Dyneema is the real McCoy, but I would have expected any interested parties to have closed down any eBay sales that contravened such a patent. American companies are shy-tot at protecting their financial interests.

I buy the line advertised on eBay as Dyneema that comes from Hong Kong and whether it is or isn't genuine Dyneema it is certainly good enough for fishing and excellent value for money. I've had some 30lb line on my reels for several years and had no problem whatsoever with it.

nicepix

Reaction score
Further to the above; Alexander my Russian neighbour has just returned from Latvia where his son is in hospital in a bad way. He is reported to be "Very, very not good". Alexander brought me a present from Riga - a spool of Salmo Elite Spectra Braid, made in Japan. The spec' is SK65 fiber (sic), 26.1kg breaking strain and 0.33mm diameter. It has a lovely slick coating and a much denser and finer consistency than the bulk spools of Dyneema I bought from Hong Kong off eBay. It is also much thinner kg for kg and has a softer feel to it. In fact it reminds me of fly line backing.

I can't find any reference to this brand or spec' of line on Google or eBay although a Latvian online tackle shop has it. A bit pricy at 17 euro for 125 metres but it seems to be cracking line.

richiekelly

Reaction score
As with a lot of things copies are being produced in China and they are not as good as the original, line/braid along with the hook are the only things that keep you connected to a fish and as such no chances should be taken for the sake of a few quid.