fishing wiith paste

brummiephil

Reaction score
in the local tackle shop today and a shiny bag of paste took my eye, never fished it before. any advice would be most welcome

C

chefster

in the local tackle shop today and a shiny bag of paste took my eye, never fished it before. any advice would be most welcome

Theres been a couple of threads on the forum over the last couple of weeks on paste,types and methods Phil,do a search and see ...failing that google paste fishing with Gary Thorpe,and Andy Findlay,both good videos,cheers Gaz

laguna

Reaction score
Hi Phil, curious what paste is it that caught your eye?

My Tips: When paste fishing for bottom feeding fish like carp, you should plumb the depth accurately and use a rig fished over depth with the bulk shot set about 6-8" from the hook.
When fishing without shotting your float can be pre-loaded or self cocking with the weight of the paste pinning the rig dead bottom. Allowing the paste to pin your rig down will result in your float rising, going under or sailing away when a fish takes it. To help avoid liners and nuisance fish when targeting carp on the bottom, I recommend using a large hook concealed and feeding micro pellets or particles 2-3 feet away.

Up in the water: When fishing up in the water, paste can be moulded around your hook suspended below your float or used with a bagging waggler.

Good luck.

C

chefster

Hi Phil, curious what paste is it that caught your eye?

My Tips: When paste fishing for bottom feeding fish like carp, you should plumb the depth accurately and use a rig fished over depth with the bulk shot set about 6-8" from the hook.
When fishing without shotting your float can be pre-loaded or self cocking with the weight of the paste pinning the rig dead bottom. Allowing the paste to pin your rig down will result in your float rising, going under or sailing away when a fish takes it. To help avoid liners and nuisance fish when targeting carp on the bottom, I recommend using a large hook concealed and feeding micro pellets or particles 2-3 feet away.

Up in the water: When fishing up in the water, paste can be moulded around your hook suspended below your float or used with a bagging waggler.

Good luck.
Several things there to point out ,if you place shot on you,re line lower than half way between float and hook, all it will serve to do is drag the hook out of the very soft paste,when you,ve shipped out and dropped in.....If you use a self cocking float and no shot be aware that the bouyancy of the float,can pull the hook out of the paste as it is trying to rise up...Finally in a million years you could not use paste on a baggin waggler:eek::eek::eek:

laguna

Reaction score
Several things there to point out ,if you place shot on you,re line lower than half way between float and hook, all it will serve to do is drag the hook out of the very soft paste,when you,ve shipped out and dropped in.....If you use a self cocking float and no shot be aware that the bouyancy of the float,can pull the hook out of the paste as it is trying to rise up...Finally in a million years you could not use paste on a baggin waggler:eek::eek::eek:

Soft paste yes.
It may be that is the usual (best/preferred?) way for most, but it is certainly not the only way Chef, not every angler will use very soft paste, in fact a lot will struggle with it.

A match angler like yourself using a pole cup may have an easy time of it and will gently lower it in sloppy while some other guy using a whip or rod will gently flick out a soft, but stiffer mix to a plumbed spot knowing that it wont easily come off and will still soften with time in the water. and besides, unless its very shallow, I'm curious how anyone can fish over depth (laying on) with any kind of paste if your bulk shot is higher in the water nearer the float?

There are no hard rules in fishing as I'm sure you know, example that loaded float can be prevented from diving with a tap washer and a bagging waggler, originally designed for deep water like Drayton, are also used successfully close in on shallow waters too. Its like the 'Pellet wag', despite its name, almost any bait can be used on a pellet waggler, not just pellets - same as almost any bait can be used on a bagging waggler, not just sticky groundbait.

Most anglers associate 'paste' as being smooth and consistent with little if any particles present, but what is a sticky ball of groundbait if not a course paste? Its the same with the new breed of fibre paste, its stringy and can be cast 60yds.

--
Just to add a bit more info...
I use Bagging wags with course damp groundbait squeezed around the base and I use them with stiff paste too as well as a combination of textures and blends depending on the depth and distance I'm fishing and how much feed i'm willing to put in (fluffy groundbait mix on deep water to splash and feed regularly and continually top up at a distance or paste slower-feeding near and shallow) your choice, either creamy smooth or with particles added. Within reason, its an up in the water method that works well no matter what the consistency is or what it was originally designed to do.

Oh and never in a million years?
Not quite a million in all my 45 years as an angler, but I consider myself a thinking man with a design career that started when I was 13 yo and I can assure you; Ive successfully (and unconventionally) used both paste and damp groundbait with my bagging wagglers since they came about as a result of combining a home made large self cocking sea float fished shallow - inaccurately throwing balls of bait at it, with a crude method feeder made from a coat hanger wrapped around a Bridlington pebble! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
C

chefster

What is the point of fishing a great big ball of paste around the bottom of a baggin waggler,and making it so hard that you can cast it 50-60 yards,what would you be trying to achieve?...anyway Chris i know that Phil fishes club matches,and i think reading between the lines,he,s looking for info on pole/match style fishing etc, Gaz

tonybull

Reaction score
I use that one to one paste and I found its best to mix it with less water than stated. You can always add water if you need to, but can not remove it.

I found its best fished in the margins where the carp are going to be, fish for one fish at a time.

Don't go silly and fill the swim it in with to much loose feed, otherwise you can end up with to many fish and liners.

You want to build your swim and work your way into it, I like to use a .1g or .2g margin float and fish either dead depth so the paste cocks the float or a float over depth wheres the float just lays flat.

Its all about what works on the day, only you can decide that.