Super glue?

laguna

Reaction score
A wonderful serendipitous 'accidental' invention along with velcro, post-it note adhesives, blue tac etc. - all useful adhesives with various industrial, medical and household uses we sometimes take for granted.

Inspired by 'Super gluing your balls together' by Steve Pope in another thread compels me to ask; how many of us use this strong fast-acting glue for gluing meatball baits together and how many use it for knots and such in fishing?

No disrespect to Steve as he obviously does well and catches, but I have always considered the smell of Cyanoacrylate chemicals would be off putting to the fish. Its highly repungent to my low-tech evolutionary sense of smell out in the open air, and I guess it would be the same for the fish olfactory in water.

Who uses super glue to glue baits and knots etc.?

B

binka

I used to use it on knots as an insurance policy when fishing for larger, powerful fish but became convinced it altered the characteristics of the mono and made it brittle, as Corkers says no need really if the knot is tied correctly.

Never used it for baits due to the smell issue but have seen many that have to no detriment whatsoever.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Like Corky I use it for gluing pellets to a hair, I also used to use it many years ago for gluing real casters to fake ones until I realized that the fake ones worked just as well by themselves. I never use it on knots.
Jerry

terry m

Reaction score
Tried it once for glueing floating dog biscuits.

Got myself in a right mess, never again, why bother when bands work better?

laguna

Reaction score
Just to bump up this thread a little...

I've never felt the need to use superglue in my fishing but it does have a very powerful smell when its first applied.., not sure how long it lingers on or whether the fish can detect it or anything but I can appreciate the 'instant' stick appeal and why some anglers may be tempted to use it on hair rigged baits, another being the assurance/confidence thing (or lack thereof) for use on certain knots.

Superglue also seems to lack flexibility (its rigidity being one of the reasons why its so strong) and its a little fiddly/time consuming (and messy) - stories of kids in casualty with fingers and eye lids stuck etc. :eek:mg:

Lots more questions than answers here such as; might the rigidity hinder the mechanics of certain rigs/knots (or does it become more flexible in water) and would the application on knots impart greater strength to the knot?

nicky

Reaction score
Always good to have superglue and insulation tape in your box never know when you gonna need it :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2