Book Launch this Saturday 10th August, noon onwards

jack sprat

Reaction score
Just a heads up:

On the 10th of August this summer Coch-Y-Bonddu will be launching three new coarse angling books at The Land's End Inn, Charvil, near Reading. This should be a great day and we hope to see you all there. Details of all three books below.

Water Colours:
Further ramblings of an artist-angler

by Maurice J. Pledger

Standard edition - a high quality paperback with flaps - £19.95
Collector's edition - cloth-bound hardback in dust-wrapper limited to only 250 signed and numbered copies - £50.00
De luxe edition - fully bound in a high quality leather and limited to only 35 signed and numbered copies - £195 (pre-publication and launch day price) and £250 (post launch price if there are any left!)

As with Mole's first book, While My Float's Still Cocked, we will be producing a set of postcard prints of the author's illustrations. Everyone purchasing a de luxe edition copy will receive a full set of all the prints.

Poles Apart:
A history of the London roach pole

by Michael Nadell

Standard edition - a large very high quality cloth-bound hardback in dust-wrapper with the first 200 copies being signed and numbered by the author - £50.00
De luxe edition - fully bound in high quality tan leather and limited to only 30 signed and numbered copies - £250 (pre-publication and launch day price) and £295 (post launch price if there are any left!)

Redfin Diaries:
A life in the year of a roach enthusiast

by Mark Everard

Standard edition - hardback in dust-wrapper with the first 200 copies being signed and numbered by the author - £25.00
De luxe edition - fully bound in high quality leather and limited to only 30 signed and numbered copies - £195 (pre-publication and launch day price) and £250 (post launch price if there are any left!)

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
jack sprat; [B said:
Poles Apart:
A history of the London roach pole[/B]
by Michael Nadell

I'd love to, but ... too many already....

Old Barn, Ruislip (not my territory, so I took my 5'0" girlfriend as back-up), Jumble Sale, mid 1970s...

I saw a bundle of bamboo poles...

With a nickel-silver cap at the base of the bottom section - as here:

http://p1.la-img.com/503/9085/1793617_2_l.jpg

- a cap that had something like "Commercial St. London E1" engraved on it.

Had to have it, even though I wasn't a collector of old rods ... 50p or 75p the nice lady charged me (as it said on her label). By no means in perfect nick (the varnish has gone black), but the metalwork, oh the metalwork. Still have it. But the book...? No, steady now, Paul...

Last edited:

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
As a teenager in the 70's my parents were members of the Ruislip Round Table who organised the jumble sale at the old barn. The sale was on a Saturday but the canny folk used to go on Friday night 'trade night'
Obviously those Victorian/Edwardian poles were not so collectable then...
Sowerbutts innit...?

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yup, Sowerbutt, the great pole-maker.

Me and my pals used to go that Great Barn jumble sale in the mid to late 1970s to buy just two things: old waistcoats and collarless "Grandad" shirts, both much, I see now lamentably, in fashion at that time.

However, a very few months before leaving for India (along with Miss Five-Foot-Nothing) on my 9-month "Mahseer Mission" (so a mag later called it) in 1978, struggling to find the money to equip us and send us on our way, I saw a chair at one of those sales.

Tiny, a child's chair, painted modern light-blue, but a piece of classic 18th-century furniture for all that. 50p.

Hastily but professionally restored, put in a London saleroom, it fetched enough to send us our way. Thanks, Ruislip.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

Dropped into Manor Waye, Uxbridge, yesterday after seeing an ad. in the local paper:

"Manager required for small family business. Must have no previous, have experience in the import - export business, have a liking for 'Cuore di Bue' and similar fine Italian tomatoes, be able to stay under the radar and be very discreet at all times."

Mrs Skinner was utterly charming at what turned out to be my job interview. So was I and soon found myself in a job and rushing off to Heathrow to get on a plane to go and meet the rest of The Family in Palermo. I scarcely had time to pack a violin case.

Funny how life turns out. Still, I don't think I'll be having any problems with trolls any longer, or anybody else for that matter.

mazza

Reaction score
really looking forward to moles new book ive even splashed out and got the leather as I think it will be a great as his first was briliant

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Mr Boote obviously knows a bargain when he sees one........A man after my own heart.

So many people 'look' but never quite 'see'.....

ps Love the bit about the chair!

pps I assume these books will eventually be available via the C-Y-B website?

Last edited:

goonch

Reaction score
Mr Boote obviously knows a bargain when he sees one........A man after my own heart.

So many people 'look' but never quite 'see'.....

ps Love the bit about the chair!

pps I assume these books will eventually be available via the C-Y-B website?

All on the website already as far as I can see.