To good to be true........?!

ggh

Reaction score
I'm currently looking for a pair of baitrunner reels for barbel fishing and have come across the the Abu Cardinal @ £40 BOGOF!! Has anyone used one and if so are they any good, or does the price tell the true story...?!!

......and before you all start telling me to save up for a Shimano I fish for Barbel when the weather is like it is now (crap wet summer) or when I'm not obsessed with the essox in the winter, they won'tget a lot of abuse so Idon'tneed to spend a fortune, cheers!!

E

EC

I have the 305's which I have had for 12 months Gary, I needed some new reels but couldn't justify shimano prices at the time.

I havehad no problems at all mate, mine have been mainly used for tench fishing(feeder/leger) and although I paid more than you, I am very happy with the purchase, at that price yours are a steal.

The one little problem with mine is that sometimes when youflick the baitrunner switch the baitrunner doesn't engage properly, a half turn of the handle sorts it, and you will know when/if it happens.

Other than that mate, get on them!

E

EC

They are the ones mate, mine are a lower spec I think but stillcame with a carbon spool and an aluminium one as well and a nice collapsible pouch!

Muffin

Reaction score
I bought an abu 505 about 1 year ago and its a pretty good reel, smooth and very robust.

Not too keen on the clutch system which took a bit of getting used too as the baitrunner and clutch actually dont seam to always work independently of each other, but it could have been the user not the equipment! And now I have no problems with it.

Now I'm used to it and love the reel, I have shimano baitrunners too and to be honest dont think there is a great difference, apart from the rear dray system.

Be aware if you leave the reel set up on the rod, then sometimes the handle when collapsed for traveling can get stuck in the bail arm and lock it which is a right pain the the a**e!

At the price you have found them for I'm thinking I might buy some more as I'm really happy with mine, just a shame about the user! Like they say a bad workman always blames his tools!

Any questions I'll do my best to help, but I think I will get some more at the end of the month when the tooth fairy brings me my wages!

Simon