Angling Trust employee - please don't all shout at once, but happy to answer

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Hi

Welcome to the forum StuartS - I used your signature to form the thread title.

Angling Trust employee - please don't all shout at once, but happy to answer (or try to answer) any questions about the Angling Trust.....

I have a question for you , but first I hope everyone keeps this as a civil debate and doesn't "spook the swim" :)

Well 2 questions actually - what do you do at the Trust ?

How does the Trust form its policy because I disagree with some aspects of it ?

Last edited:

stuart_s

Reaction score
Hi Benny,
Just seen this, so hope you haven't been waiting! But then I'm working and have a lot to do today, before a meeting on Monday and then 9 days leave.

Incidentally, this may have been better as a PM rather than as an open thread. To make it clear I am not responsible for AT's PR work, my signature was merely an offer to answer questions where possible, not to put myself forward as spokesman and I would certainly not have the time nor inclination to face a barrage of questions from lots of people demanding answers on all sorts of matters.

Anyway, now that's clear I will answer your questions:

1) What do I do? Sometimes I have to ask myself what I don't do! To keep it short I manage the finance and business functions. So that includes all the typical financial systems (paying suppliers, staff, ordering items, VAT, PAYE etc) and liaision with key third parties (bankers, auditors, funding partners - such as the EA and Sport England). On the business side this includes everything from managing third party business relationships, such as the legal and corporate aspects of business with our insurers, sponsors, suppliers etc; the financial and governance aspects of bidding for Sport England funding and all the consequential reporting; and managing our assets including the "fighting fund". The business side also overlaps into corporate governance and ensuring that the business has appropriate systems, processes and policies in place, even where those systems/processes/policies relate to other areas of the business, such as Sport England programmes. I also manage the HR function for the business. All of these tasks cover both Angling Trust and Fish Legal. I am also the company secretary for both Angling Trust and our investment company. I would think you would agree that that is a huge volume of work and more than fills a working week!

2) How does the Trust form its policy? The Trust has many policies as our work covers so many different areas - environmental issues, competitions, national teams, development, participation and membership. The policies are ordinarily developed by the senior management team, with the relevant Head of dept leading on the particular subject, in conjunction with the Chief Exec and relevant board members, advisors etc as appropriate. Policies often cross over on to my desk for corporate purposes, i.e. does a competition policy meet our Safe-guarding obligations. The strategic policies and business plans are reviewed and approved by the Board, who are all non-executive volunteers. As for people disagreeing with policy, we are always willing to listen but we cannot promise to please all the anglers, all the time! If you have any particular disagreements with policy, it would be more appropriate to put them in an email to us.

I hope that answers your questions.

Stuart

john step

Reaction score
Join the Trust. Not every policy can suit every person but overall they are the best group to fight for angling. They are getting more professional and effective all the time.