Do use bed chairs

angler_jack

Reaction score
Seeing as my longer sessions are only ever 48 hr, I never use a bed chair just get in my sleeping bag and I take a pillow and one I'm set. See many advantages to this on save on lugging it around. Just wondering of anyone doesn't use bed chairs?

sam vimes

Reaction score
I've been known to forgo a bedchair at times. I'll even forgo any type of shelter once in a blue moon. The chances of either happening get less as time goes on. I'm just finishing a course of anti-biotics after a recent session I did under a brolly. I got bitten to death, so it's either full bivvy or a mozzy front for the brolly from now on.

john step

Reaction score
Re mozzies Sam Vines. I hate them too after some serious bites. I managed to buy a full head cover net thing from an adventure/outdoor company before they went bust. I put it on at night when your cant see the little darlings creeping up on you. You can still see through it well enough. Also long sleeve T shirts. Trousers tucked into long socks protect my ankles. I swear by Boots sun cream, the sort with insect repellent, never having been bitten with it on!

sam vimes

Reaction score
John,
I've never had an issue when actually fishing or otherwise active. Only when the eyelids shut and I'm not fully enclosed in a tent or bivvy do I get bitten. Last time it was mainly hands and face which, with it being a very warm night, were exposed. The big red blisters on my left hand were a sight to behold.

terry m

Reaction score
Whilst I am happy to forgo the shelter/bivvy during hot dry spells, I cannot leave the bedchair behind. I would be stiff as a board by morning.

As for mozzies, when I was younger and I smoked (stupid I know), I never seemed to suffer, but these days they are a real nuisance. I keep meaning to get some of the Avon Skin so Soft stuff that everybody waxes lyrical about!

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Whilst I am happy to forgo the shelter/bivvy during hot dry spells, I cannot leave the bedchair behind. I would be stiff as a board by morning.

As for mozzies, when I was younger and I smoked (stupid I know), I never seemed to suffer, but these days they are a real nuisance. I keep meaning to get some of the Avon Skin so Soft stuff that everybody waxes lyrical about!

I bought some Skin so Soft last year and not a bite since. I usually night fish in the open on a chair and though I have a bedchair I very rarely use it.

nicepix

Reaction score
We've used Avon Skin So Soft for many years and never been bitten. Until last summer when it was totally ineffective.

Maybe a bad bottle but I managed to get some new improved Avon sun screen / repellant from the States last year. So far I have never needed to use it until Friday evening while fishing a new swim I was bitten all over. Guess where the repellent was? Yep. At home. :eek:

derbyco1

Reaction score
I've been using Boots Soltan Suncare lotion with insect repellent, its also water resistant.

Not been bit once and only costs around £5.